1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connected to the internet, but 100% loss, can't do anything

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Luke101, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Luke101

Luke101 Thread Starter

ok everything hardware is fine, and i am connected to the internet, but nothing works, internet explorer says unavailable and when i ping i get 100% loss! this is a huge problem please can someone help me.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a funny idea of what "connected" means. ;)

First off, tell us what kind of connection you have, cable, DSL, dial-up, what? Also, the make/model of the modem, router, and the version and patch level of Windows in use.

I'd also like to see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

3. Luke101

Luke101 Thread Starter

well its happening with dial up and ADSL, running xp sp2:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Luke>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Excalibur
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-0E-5C-A6

C:\Documents and Settings\Luke>

================================================

any ideas?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Media disconnected" is kinda the opposite of "connected."

In addition to the rest of JohnWill's questions, do the LEDs light at the ethenet ports on your modem and PC?

Does the ethernet adapter show as "OK" in Device Manager?

Is the ethernet connection in Network Connections 'enabled'?

5. Luke101

Luke101 Thread Starter

yeah the lights are on at the modem. im quite confused with this ethernet business, im not sure why it says media disabled, how do i enable it?
    cant find any ethernet stuff in network connections.
    it connects to the internet and says that i am connected at 2.2mbps
    sorry im a bit thick with all this

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What DO you see in Network Connections? The ethernet connection usually has a name like "Local Area Connection ... ." If you find it and it is disabled just right click on it and select 'enable.'

If you don't find it in Network Connections then go into Device Manager and look for problems (like, maybe, no driver for the ethernet adapter).

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's not "disabled", it's "disconnected". :)

That is indicating the computer doesn't see the connection to the modem. On the computer end, do you see connection lights next to the network cable connection?

8. Luke101

Luke101 Thread Starter

the local area network is enabled but it says that a network cable is unplugged, however it has always said this, when i was using my 56k it was saying the same thing.
    This computer i am on now also says a network cable is unplugged but i can connect to the internet fine.
    I tried system restore but this did not not fix the problem.
    I tried doing IPCONFIG /ALL on this computer and it also says media disconnected so im not sure if that is relevent or not.
    Everything is plugged in correctly and the lights are fine.
    Is it possible that my IP address has been blocked by my ISP somehow?
    Thanks for the the help guys, much appreciated!

9. Dezaras

Dezaras

Things are getting a little confusing I think, as was pointed out "media state disconnected" literally means the wire that goes between the modem from your ISP and your pc is not plugged in, OR the pc does not believe it is plugged in. when you are using dial-up, you are not using that wire, so seeing "network cable unplugged" while on dial up doesnt really tell us anything, since you are using phone cable then, not ethernet or "network" cable. we still need to know some real specific things

1. where the ethernet cable plugs into the back of the pc, are there any lights there near the plug in point

2. if your modem has a light that says "ethernet," "pc," or "pc link" what is this light doing?

3. where did you read " connected at 2.2 mbps"

4. list the names and states of any icons in the network connections page, especially if they are under the "lan or high speed internet" section, or if you see anything that has the phrase "local area connection"

5. in the above post you state "This computer i am on now also says a network cable is unplugged but i can connect to the internet fine , " is this computer to which you are referring on dial up right now, if not, is this computer capable of wireless connections?

6. is this computer connected to the modem with a USB connection?

thanks, we want to help, but need more info.....

10. Luke101

Luke101 Thread Starter

1. I don't have an ethernet cable, or an ethernet card.

2. My modem has 2 lights, one which says usb and that one is on and one which says adsl and that one is also on.

3. When the modem dials a connection it then tells me what speed i am connected at at the bottom right of the screen.

4. DIAL UP
    Name Orange Broadband
    Type Dial Up
    Status Connected
    Device Name Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP

LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET
    Name Local Area connection 4
    Type Lan or High Speed Internet
    Status Network Cable Unplugged

5. No this computer is using exactly the same modem, it is not capable of wireless. The modem is plugged into the phone jack in the wall, and the usb cable from the modem is in the computer.

6. Yes

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You say that you don't have an ethernet card, but your ipconfig /all says otherwise.

You complain about "cable unplugged," but have no (ethernet) cable plugged in. If you don't want to see this nag, in Network Connections right click on the ethernet (Local Area Connection) and select 'disable.'

You say you have a USB cable connected between modem and computer, but your ipconfig /all shows no evidence of it. Have you installed whatever modem or DSL software you are supposed to yet?

12. Dezaras

Dezaras

good now we are starting to get somewhere, the ipconfig does show an ethernet card in the pc (thats what local area connection 4 is). more importantly, the ipconfig /all does not show the dsl usb connection, though is does show it in the network connections window (thats the one under dial-up). usually this means the pc in question does not properly recognize the usb device, if you did not see "usb speedtouch modem" in the device manager anywhere, then the next step would be to install or re-install the usb driver from the speedtouch device. did the modem come with a cd originally?
    now that we know you are usb, all the "network cable unplugged" and "media state disconnected" messages are not nearly as important. the next step, like Terrynet said, would be to reinstall the software originally designed for the usb speedtouch modem. do you have the original software? if so, what happens when you try to reinstall it?

13. Luke101

Luke101 Thread Starter

the speedtouch modem shows that it is working fine in the device manager, re-installed the software from the disc and still the same. I can't help but feel that we are climbing the wrong tree, because this problem was happening when i was using my 56k, working fine one night then the next day it was just doing this. But you guys know better than me i suppose. So what now that I hav e re-installed the software?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Our favorite response--let's see another ipconfig /all :)

15. Luke101

Luke101 Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Luke>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Excalibur
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-0E-5C-A6

C:\Documents and Settings\Luke>

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/566987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice