1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to the Network, but no internet...on one computer only.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seamus8u, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

My ancient HP desktop connects to the network via wired connection. My laptop connects wirelessly (usually). Both have very strong signals from the router and the desktop connects to the internet just like always, but the laptop isn't getting the internet signal. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5534 (Costco special) and the router is a Linksys Simultaneous Dual Band N-type. The only real significant thing that was done on the laptop was to install Adobe Shockwave Player with Norton Scan. I already have McAfee on the laptop tho, so I uninstalled the Norton. I'm going to do a system restore in a moment...any other suggestions would really be appreciated!

BTW, the laptop would occasionally seem to disconnect itself from the network and I would have to completely shut down the network (hard restart) and all computers to reset. This always worked before, but now it isn't. Like I said, I have excellent wireless connectivity, but the internet isn't there, just on the laptop. Even if I go wired with it!

2. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

I've narrowed it down to a freakin firewall issue with McAfee. When I turn the firewall off, I get access to the internet. I restored the firewall settings to default and everything seems "normal" again. But why would my firewall start to do this. It seems to randomly disconnect my laptop from the internet (not the network).

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because that's one of the things they like to do from time to time. Probably means it's corrupted, so best to uninstall it and run both the Norton and McAfee Removal Tools before reinstalling either.

Please bring your signature into compliance (3 line max.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice