1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to wifi 24/7, internet still goes in and out.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HL_Brandywine, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HL_Brandywine

HL_Brandywine Thread Starter

Hey there. This is my first post on this forum, I hope that I can get some help here :). Anyways, here is the issue that my roommates and I are experiencing with our internet.

Recently, starting just a few weeks ago, our internet began acting a bit strange for all of us. We are able to constantly stay connected 24/7. In our network preferences, it says we are always connected to the internet with full bars. For the most part, we all have perfect and fast internet connection, but for some unknown reason, every 45 minutes or so (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer), we won't be able to load anything on the internet from a range of about 5-10 minutes.

The strange thing is that even during these periods of time where we are unable to load anything, as if we had no wifi connection, all of our devices that we use the internet on said that we all still had a perfect connection. Even if we are sitting right next to the router with our laptops, this issue will still constantly reoccur as i described earlier.

What's even weirder is that sometimes things like video games on the pc that run in different clients (not the internet browser), will be able to maintain internet connection when playing online when the internet stops working for everything else. That is definitely what confuses me the most. How could a video game maintain internet connection for online play on the same wifi, yet none of our other devices are able to load anything? We won't even be able to use wifi on our phones during that 5-10 minute period, but it still says on our phones that we are fully connected to our wifi during that time of us not being able to load anything.

We've tried everything that we could think of to fix the issue, but non of us are IT experts, so that's why I decided to come here to ask for help. We've reset the router countless times, moved the router to every other area of the house, and even purchased a better router model to boost signal range by a good amount. The new router got some of us faster connections, but the issue, still, was not resolved. Every 45 minutes or so, the internet still will always just stop working, even though it says on all of our devices that we are maintaining a strong internet/wifi connection.

I'm just at a loss of ideas on what to do. We called Comcast (our internet provider), and they said they'll have one of their people come and check it out, but they can't come down until Friday. I haven't always had the best results with Comcast employees either. Is there any way that we could somehow fix this issue? It's just the most frustrating thing, and all of us are college students who are constantly using the internet for academics. Please, if there is any help or advice for us, we'd appreciate it so much! Thank you for your time.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. HL_Brandywine

HL_Brandywine Thread Starter

What exactly does that mean, and how would I go about doing that? That all seems like a different language to me haha, so if you could try and break that info down for me, that would be awesome :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't explain how to do that any better than is done in that linked article. Is there something in particular that you cannot understand?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice