1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to WIFI but no Internet ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Padmund, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Padmund

Padmund Thread Starter

OK ..

im sure this is something silly and simple.. at least I hope it is.

I have a laptop with wireless. ... I can search for wifi networks.. like the airport and starbuck... find the list of networks available.. and hit connect.. and it says conected.

Then when I open up my Web Browser.. nothing ! Page cannot be displayed. as tho i have no connection. I have tried it with a few different places .. like the public wifi places and still nothing.. and even on a private network in my friends house

Im sure its a setting or something.. though I have the automatically detect settings selected in the internet options.

Its like the computer is connecting to the network.. but yet its realising that OH I should be using this connection for the Internet !!!

Im pretty good at sorting out problems with PCs / Windows thou I have no expierence of wireless networks so am totaly lost.

Hope this makes sense !
    Thanks
    Paddy

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you seem to be connected, open a Command window and type
    ipconfig /all

Does your wireless show "Yes" for "Dhcp Enabled" and for Autoconfiguration Enabled ? If not, you need to go into your TCP/IP properties and set to 'obtain IP auto' and 'obtain DNS auto.'

If your wireless is showing an IP of 169.254.x.y it did not successfully get an IP configuration from the router or server. Is there a chance that the wrong driver is installed--maybe one for the wrong region of the world (for example, US and Canada use channels 1-11 while most of Europe uses channels 1-13).

If not the above, post the ipconfig here. One way to do so is to type
    ipconfig /all >C:\ipconfig.txt
    This will put the results in the ipconfig text file on your hard drive; you can open it with notepad to copy and paste here.

3. Padmund

Padmund Thread Starter

(y) Heya Mate

just want to say thank you !! your advice was spot on re the auto dns etc etc ... all I did was change this... got to try it out this morning in the local train station !

Thanks again - much appreciated :)

Paddy

( ps what is the option though for connecting pc - pc via wireless ? )

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "( ps what is the option though for connecting pc - pc via wireless ? )"

Glad you got it working quickly. For pc - pc the keyword is ad-hoc. Set up an AD-HOC wireless network on each PC, clearly using the same SSID. Some utilities give you more options than others; if you have the options make sure all PCs are using the same band ('b' or 'g'), same channel (auto is probably better), same encryption and key(s). Best to go non-encrypted until you get it working; then enable WEP.

If you keep 'obtain IP auto' (as I do) it will take up to a minute for all PCs to acquire network address. You will get an IP of 169.254.x.y and mask of 255.255.0.0 on each PC.

Check your connection by opening a Command window and doing the ipconfig /all, and then type
    ping othercomputer
    where 'othercomputer' is the name or the IP address of the other computer.
    If you get responses back, you are truly connected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice