1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to wifi, PC says 'internet access' but can't browse internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joelgeorgeson, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joelgeorgeson

joelgeorgeson Thread Starter

Hey everyone, sorry if this is in wrong area.

So today I bought a secondhand computer. It's a Toshiba Satelite L875D-S7230.

When I connect it to my home wifi it connects no problem and says 'internet access' when I hover over the icon. However when I open open google chrome or internet explorer and type in a site, it takes a little while then says this page cannot be displayed or this web page is unavailable.

The guy I bought it from says he had no issues. And I know it's not the internet because I'm using the internet to post this from phone.
    I've tried a few ideas that worked for other people on other forums like using cmd box but to no avail.

Has anyone got any idea why the computer is being such a turd?? Can anyway give advice on how to fix the problem? Thank you all so much!

2. LambrosGreece

LambrosGreece

Hi!
    Check if your Time/Date are correct to your computer. If not then fix that. Also disable any firewall on your computer and see if your problem fixed.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this a new install or "recovery to factory defaults" of the Operating System? If so, did you do it or did the seller and describe what else has been installed or updated.

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, it would also be helpful for you to provide the IP configuration of the machine at the time you are 'connected'. Also can you ping the public Google DNS? (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

The Cleaver

5. sonzkitot

sonzkitot

Hi,

Try this:

>Open Command Prompt (Administrator)
    >Type "netsh winsock reset" (without quotes)
    >Reboot and try to reconnect

-Sonzkitot

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice