1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to wireless network but Internet not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by freeform, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freeform

freeform Thread Starter

After moving I was using a wireless Internet connection for a while but then I started using a direct connection to a router. Now I'm back to wireless but I'm having this problem, my brother has been using the wireless from the beginning and still does so I'm sure it's my computer. No browsers work, no games, nothing can connect to the Internet.
    I'm running windows 7 and now the Internet icon in the taskbar is the computer monitor with a yellow triangle as opposed to the bars of wireless internet unless I'm connected or trying to connect to the wireless Internet that either says I have limited connectivity or is connected but doesn't work.
    Also, sorry, I know I should be showing what comes up in command prompt but if someone could give me the commands to type in, I'll report what cones in as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSg:
    Ok:
    Does your wired connection still work ?
    And the wireless connection worked and there were no changes in hardware(other than the lan connection to the router) ?
    Make and model of modem and router ?
    So;Let's see:
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

And:
    Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    And,also if you can,give us the results of this:It will tell us quite a bit about your wireless connection and the wireless networks around you .
    Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
    www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
    to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

3. freeform

freeform Thread Starter

I really appreciate the quick response and I'm sorry it took me so long to respond myself.
    However it seems the Internet is working again, so would you still like the same information/screenshots you asked for or is there something else that should be checked in this situation?
    It seems the problem is probably just really poor connectivity. The brother who has always used this wireless network uses it for gaming and I noticed my Internet was working when he was not playing. However once he got on I couldnt use my browser beyond loading my homepage (yahoo). I believe the reason his computer is able to overpower mine connection wise is because of our wireless adapters, where I have a built in adapter to my desktop (which has two antennas sticking out) while he uses a laptop with a built in adapter I assume is better than mine considering laptops would be more pruned to needing to connect to a network. Anyways, I was wondering whether or not I can fix this, we do have our computers in the same room, so is the short distance between us a problem? What else can I do to create a more powerful connection to the router?

4. ec2sri

ec2sri

Check for Overlapping Wireless Networks....Make sure Router is not close to any Electronic devices like, micro ovens, Cord less Phones, or any other devices which have strong Electro Magnetic Signals....If you have access to the Router try changing the Channels to Non Overlapping Channels or Less Interfering Channels...

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Also,when it is slow,please let me see a screen shot from xirrus.We can check signal strength and perhaps potential interference.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice