1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connected via wireless but no internet...bad router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ryanwaggoner, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanwaggoner

ryanwaggoner Thread Starter

Ok, I'm completely stumped here. I've got an older DSL modem (AT-RG634) that is connected to a windows XP box via ethernet. I'm trying to setup a wireless router (dlink wbr-1310) on the connection. The internet connection on the xp box works fine. However, if I plug the router into the modem directly, I am unable to get an internet connection. The router shows that a connection has been established to the modem, but it doesn't have any internet connectivity. I thought perhaps it was related to the MAC address, but I'm successfully able to connect 2 different mac laptops to the modem and have internet without issue. In summary:

Modem->XP via LAN = works
    Modem->Macbook via LAN = works
    Modem->iBook via LAN = works

Modem->Router->XP (all via LAN) = does not work
    Modem->Router->Macbook (via wireless) = does not work
    Modem->Router->iBook (via wireless) = does not work

On the wireless connections, I'm able to connect to the router via wireless without issue...I just can't access the internet. I've reset the router to factory conditions and messed with the config, but it strikes me as odd that both of the laptops were able to immediately connect without issue, yet the router is completely unable to connect to the internet. Is it possible that the router just doesn't work anymore? I haven't ever had any issues with it before now...

Please let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks!

2. jmwills

jmwills

Did you setup your ISP username and password to connect to the DSL service???

3. ryanwaggoner

No, I didn't, but I assume that if that needs to be setup, it would be setup in the modem. Regardless, both of the laptops connected with zero configuration at all when plugged into the modem directly via ethernet, so I would assume that the router would be able to do the same.

4. jmwills

jmwills

I fail to see how a DSL modem can be connected to the ISP without configuration on your part. Never heard of that. Cable yes, DSL no.

5. ryanwaggoner

I'm not 100% aware of the situation here, but the DSL is provided on an overseas military installation, and the modem and XP box were already configured before I got here. All I've been attempting to do is add the wireless to the mix. My guess is that the modem itself would have to be configured with the username/pw provided by the ISP...not only can I not find the username and password setup anywhere on the XP box, the laptops are able to connect without any configuration whatsoever.

I'm sitting right now typing this while connected from Modem -> Laptop via ethernet and I didn't have to configure ANYTHING on the laptop, so any config would need to be in the modem, right?

6. Sera_sMommy81

Sera_sMommy81

You may have already done this, but have you checked to see if the wireless rtr shows up in your Network Connections, and if the wireless card shows up in your Network Adapters?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As one example that I have experienced, AT&T DSL in Chicago uses a dynamic connection, just like cable.

Reset the router to factory default settings (probably need to hold the reset button 10 to 20 seconds). Unplug the modem when connecting the router. If internet connection still not made, login to the router and see if you can find any hints in the WAN status or in logs.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice