1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting 2 differents network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by grumch, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grumch

grumch Thread Starter

I'm using an Adtran Netvanta 1335 on my first network 192.168.10.x and I need to configure it to give access to the network printers that are available for all but they're on another network segment 192.168.1.x . Both mask are 255.255.255.0 and gateway are 192.168.x.254 on both side.

Both network segment use a different gateway to access internet and should only communicate for the purpose of accessing the printers.

Thx for helping

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My initial stab at this is you need another router which is connected to both 192 networks. From the router which provides internet connectivity for both 192 networks, you need to put in a static route which points to the other 192 network with the gateway being the new router which routes between the two of the 192 networks.

For instance, for the 192.168.10.x network, assuming the new router has an IP of 192.168.10.2, you would set a static route on the default router of this network (assuming it is 192.168.10.1) to say to get to network 192.168.1.0/24 (assuming class C) use 192.168.10.2 as your gateway. For the 192.168.1.x network you will do the same but in the opposite direction with a static route in your default gateway for 192.168.10.0/24 with a gateway of 192.168.1.2.

This isn't the best way to do it, but it'll work. You'll also have to make sure any router you put in between the two networks is a pure router or if you're after using a SOHO router, make sure the SPI firewall is turned off. If you want to limit the traffic between the two networks via ACLs, then this will open up a whole other discussion which will get more complex and probably require more expensive hardware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice