1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting 2 MS MN-500 WAP's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bigsnowy, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigsnowy

bigsnowy Thread Starter

Hello

I am trying to get 2 microsoft wireless access points to work together. The first one (A) is plugged to the cable modem and gets the IP from my ISP and then A also acts as a DHCP/Router for my internal home network.

Everything is workin great the 128bit WEP and my wireless clients get the ip and are working just fine... Now I am trying to add a 2nd Microsoft Wireless Access Point (B) onto the existing wireless network to improve the signal strength and range around my house...

I have tried several configurations on B but haven't had any luck with it... I have tried to put it on the same SSID and WEP as A as well as disabling the DHCP on the B WAP but with no luck.. I have tried to set the B into 'bridge mode' with no luck.... I have tried to put B on the same SSID and WEP as A as well as disabling the DHCP and firewall... no luck

Please help...

I'm stumped

2. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

is WAP B connected by cable to the other2?

i've got
    1 hub
    1 router
    3 WAPs

connected the 3 waps and the router into the hub and it worked fine. I'm using the cheap belink WAPs

3. bigsnowy

bigsnowy Thread Starter

the B wap is not connected via cable to A.

i am trying to get B to be a 'repeater/signal amplifier'

4. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

is that possible? is it a special feature with the MS access points? as far as I know, standard ones dont have this feature :(

5. bigsnowy

bigsnowy Thread Starter

that's the goal...

I don't want wires getting strung around all over the place...

6. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

ahh i see.

these microsoft WAPs definately support that then do they? i know normal WAPs dont :(

7. bigsnowy

bigsnowy Thread Starter

Why wouldn't they though? They should, shouldn't they? There's nothing I could find that says otherwise... I even read the manual... (very rare and only on desparate situations) :)

I only makes sense because I know campuses have wireless amps all over campuses to boosts signals and these should have the same capabilities...

8. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

i wouldnt be so sure about that. give them a call
    i've not come accross one that supports this yet (although it seems like an obvious feature to have)

9. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Give both access points the same IP settings. you'll get a duplicate error message on the network but just ignore it. It will still be fully functional.

10. bigsnowy

bigsnowy Thread Starter

Chris - I may have to

gkimble - What about the DHCP and other settings? I plan to eventually have about 8 WAP's around this area spreading from the basement all the way to the atic. I'm trying to figure out 2 first before I go all gung ho and buy them all

11. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

You must have a mansion, because 2 AP's should be plenty for a house. I thought each one went about 200 feet and even through walls ? Why do you need 8 ? !!

12. bigsnowy

bigsnowy Thread Starter

Yes, it's a fairly large area I need to cover with thick walls and floors...

And it's for a very important person so I need to figure it out ASAP...

13. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Your going over board still. Maybe 4 at the most. But if they are an important person, then they have money. Then that means they can pay for it all......

14. Rockn

Rockn

3 WAP's? What's the point of that when one will do the job? he is trying to extend the range of his wireless network and connecting three of them to a hub/switch isn't going to do it. You might want to try a wireless bridge or better antennas on the wireless NIC's

15. bigsnowy

bigsnowy Thread Starter

It's not over kill... they want perfect green bars for 'Excellent' connectivity all over the place.

The MN 500 does have a bridging mode but it doesn't work and does not repeat nor amplify the signal as I am hoping for.

The NICs for the PC's are internal built in ones.. they are IBM thinkpads and the internal NICs rock.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice