1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting 2 PC's Through the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MikeyD2288, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeyD2288

MikeyD2288 Thread Starter

Hey i am new to this site but am part of other forum sites so i know how this works. I have searched extensively for a way to connect 2 pc's over the internet. Here's what im looking for i am a volunteer firefighter and our department has 2 stations, each station has a pc and are both on a broadband connection. What we need is to access the pc's from either station. Example if i have a file on the pc at station 1 i want to be able to access it from the pc at station 2. I would like to know if there is any freeware or if we have to buy the software thats cool too. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

This should do the trick if someone is always at the other location.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

If not, I use logmein.com

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en

I think I paid $39 for one year, and I can make either of my computers the "master" computer in order to grab a file from it.

If you don't need to actually download the file, you can use the free version.

Then again, if you are running XP or Vista, you can use remote desktop.

3. MikeyD2288

thanks, with remote desktopcan you access the file from either pc. also we dont dont need to access from any other pc just between the 2. i gues like a network just over the net

4. ~Candy~

Yes, with remote desktop, it's just like you are in front of the other computer. You can open the file, email the file, change the file, save it etc. I have a small web cam connected to one of my computers, and log into it to see what's going on ;)

5. MikeyD2288

nice thanks alot ill try that and see how it goes. ill let you know what happens. i might hang out here awhile and check you guys out

6. ~Candy~

(y) Feel free to stay. Most of us don't bite :D

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi Mikey,

Glad to see a fellow EMS person here. I used to run around in the meat wagons. Anyways, what type of data are we talking about here and what is being stored on these computers? If it's any station specific information like SOPs and stuff, I would highly recommend using a dedicated VPN solution. I wouldn't rely on any third party solutions. Also, remote desktop by itself isn't secure enough for my comfort.

8. MikeyD2288

yea we got reports and junk like that on the pc's. i tried remote desktop and couldn't get it to work, i got it to work at home but not at the FD. Which VPN's do you recommend, like i said earlier free would be nice since we are a voluteer FD we'd have to fork over the money ourselves for any thing like that

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

With the sensitivity of the information we're talking about here, I would not use any of the free solutions out there. Even the paid ones. I'm basing this on security and reliability concerns.

Depending on how your network is set up and who maintains it will dictate how you go about implementing a VPN. Is there already a router/firewall in place? If so, is it the station's or provided by the county/city? Depending on the answer, I would recommend either a VPN endpoint router or a VPN concentrator. Something you could get working if you can use the new VPN endpoint router as your main edge router is to have a site to site VPN tunnel set up between the two stations.

As an aside, are these reports incident reports? PCRs (Patient care reports)?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice