connecting 2 workstations

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Murkydok

Is it possible to connect 2 workstations using a patch cord (flipped or unflipped)? My hub is out of space and I need to connect another server to the lan. I have 2 fiber cards (10baset), will they do the trick?

Fiber isn't 10BT and yes you can connect two together with a crossover cable. You won't be able to see the rest of the network tho.

Brooks

Your best bet is a cheap hub or switch.

I put a little linksys switch at my workstation and ran an uplink from one of our superstacks. Runs fine and gives me extra ports to hook PC's to the network so I can work on them from my desk.

The only way I know of to be able to use the new server set up that way would be make it a standalone and set your old server up for IP forwarding which is going to take up more resources since it will basically be acting as a router to a machine on a different network.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...n/server/help/sag_TCPIP_imp_routing_table.htm

Really, the easiest way would be to get a small hub or switch. That would also give you a couple extra ports down the road.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online