1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting 2 XP Pro boxes over internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RipCurl, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

Firstly i am sorry if this has been asked before, i couldn`t find anything similar. My friend has a Win XP Pro system and is connected to the net with a cable modem. I also have a Win XP Pro system and I connect using a dial-up adsl modem. What we want to do is have a shared folder on our pc`s which the other person can access. The connection does not have to be open all the time, as it will only be used for sending the odd file now and again. I think we would have to be on the same workgroup, but that is about all i know. If anyone could point me in the direction of a set of instructions on how to do this, i would be very happy, or if someone could just tell me that would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I'd consider something like email unless they're large files, much less trouble. If you want something capable of a little more volume, the easiest way would be to setup an FTP server on one or both of the machines. Here's a page of free FTP server tools: http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/server/fwftpserver.shtml

3. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I have Cute FTP XP, so if i download one of the ftp server packages from that page and my freind does as well, we should be able to connect to each other. Is this easy to setup?

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

easyestway is to get a router. plug it in after the cable modem. and then plug your friends computer in one port.

if you dont have a eithernet card buy one, install it and plug in another port.

then run the networking connection wizard.

you wil be sharing her internet access with her when connected this way but this is the way most people share files between 2 computers in the same building.

the other is to use instsnt messanger with file transfer.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

They want to share accross the Internet!!!

One of you will have to install a FTP server and the other logs onto the server to upload or download files as needed with a FTP client.

6. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I think the FTP Server is the way to go. I will try it out and let you know how I get on. Thanks again

7. JohnWill

You forgot the part about unhooking the computer, putting it into the car or airplane, depending on the distance, and taking ot over to the guy's house! :D

8. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

hey the post sounded as if they were in the same place.

9. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

I set myself up as FTP server and my friend connected to me without any problems. Thanks for the help

10. JohnWill

Glad it worked out, that's probably the simple solution to the problem. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice