1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting 3 IDE Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blasterstudi, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blasterstudi

blasterstudi Thread Starter

Hey. Last time I looked into this, it wasn't possible, but I thought I'd see if maybe technology has changed.

I have this motherboard:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=158

I was wondering if there was a way to hook up 3 hard drives and 2 CD-ROM drives. I have a DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW, and I also have 3 IDE hard Drives. Is there a way to hook all this up at once? I read a little about this board having something called SATA capability. How does this work, and can I use my IDE drive on this port (with some sort of adapter or something)?

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

2. norton850

norton850

As your board is now I think the only way you can install more than the 4 drives (2 hard drives and 2 optical drives) is by using a SATA hard drive. However, I believe there are adapters that let you run an IDE drive from a SATA connector. Another opinion is highly encouraged :D

3. pronute

pronute

4. blasterstudi

I actually looked a little into converting my IDE drives to the SATA so I can use those plugs on my MB, but is there a down side to this? I mean I'm assuming if the adapter works, and the SATA port is faster than my EIDE drive, what could go wrong?

Anyone heard of any problems with the EIDE to SATA converter?

5. blasterstudi

Also, I've never setup a SATA drive? Is it the same as EIDE or do I need to learn something new?

6. norton850

norton850

"what could go wrong?" :D

If you are planning to use your (E)IDE drive with the adapter there will probably be drivers that come with the adapter that you will need to install to get things to work.

7. Cosmic

Cosmic

8. blasterstudi

OK. I went ahead and ordered the adapter. I'll give it a try. If it works, I'll post back and let you guys know. And if it doesn't work, I'll give the expansion IDE card a try, but it doesn't sound too good. My computer already has cooling issues as it is. How does that card connect? to the PCI slot?

9. Maritime Guy

Maritime Guy

How much is the adapter card, it might be cheaper to just get an SATA hard drive instead and avoid any possible adapter/configuration/driver problems.
    With a SATA drive, there are no jumpers, just the data cable and power cable. Also SATA is much faster. And IDE runs at a maximum of 133MB shared between the two devices on the cable, while SATA run at a full 150MB dedicated to the drive.

I've changed boot drive my hard drive from an IDE to an SATA and noticed a big performance increase.

10. blasterstudi

the cable was only $15 as opposed to a minimum of $120 for a new SATA hard drive. The problem is I really needed a new hard drive for my old was having issues with XP, and I didn't have enough free space to backup everything, so I had to run out to CompUSA and I got a good deal on a 200GB 7200RPM Maxtor, and I previously owned 1 40GB and 1 10GB (which is holding all my mp3s). So, i'm really only going to use this adapter to transfer my files from the 10GB (with no OS) to the 40GB (with a jacked up XP). That way I can format them both and do the file transfer all in windows. I wish I had bought the SATA one, here's one for about the same price I paid for mine...
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-357&depa=1
    Anyway, this should do OK. I'll probably buy one some day.

11. bigsooner

bigsooner

The adapter comes with no drives. You can find them priced from about $20.00 not including shipping to as much as $40.00 in a local shop (Roanoke VA). I have one but have not used it as of yet. If your MO-BO has sata connectors, you'll need to use your mo-bo drivers, if I understand it correctly.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A SATA <> IDE converter came with my ABIT MB, but I haven't tried it yet. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, it's a pretty simple concept.

13. blasterstudi

My point exactly.

14. blasterstudi

Ok, I got my cable/device board thing today... finally!
    I plugged it into my hard drive, and ran the cable to what I think is my SATA connection on my motherboard. I mean it fit, it's just there weren't 2 of them next to each other.

Anyway... I'm at a loss as to what I do next. I'm going to insert my CD-ROM drivers for SATA and hope that it works.

Anyone know how to do this?

15. blasterstudi

OK

First thing needed was to turn my SATA controller on in my BIOS. It was located in my Integrated Peripherals submenu.

Then, when windows recognized my RAID settings and wanted the drivers, so I downloaded them from Abit's website.

As far as the settings for the adapter, it had a jumper that set the board to 100 mhz bus or 133. Check the settings for the drive for this.

Hard Drive Jumpers: It was suggested to me from IWILL (manufacturer of adapter) that i use Cable Select, but this setting did not work for me. I set mine to Master, and it works now.

That's it. The adapter works great. I would definitely recommend it to someone that would like to quickly setup 3 or 4 hard drives and 2 CD/DVD ROM drives and have a SATA compatible motherboard.

Thanks for the help guys.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/308563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice