1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting 5.1 speakers to two systems at once

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FrenchPoodle, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrenchPoodle

FrenchPoodle Thread Starter

Hey everyone, what I'm trying to do is connect my 5.1 surround sound system to my computer and my xbox 360 at the same time. Right now I have my xbox 360 connected to my speaker system ( http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/4218.jpg), through this adapter (http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/6776.jpg). Now my Xbox 360 and my computer are ont he same monitor though my KVM switch (http://images.belkin.com/F1DS102P/FUL1_F1DS102P.jpg). and I don't have any speakers for my computer, I have a 5.1 surround sound card and all that so I know the speakers work for my computer, my question is how can I get them to hook into both? Like do they ahve a KVM switch for speakers? Anything will help, I'm thinking right now that this isn't possible :(

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, what you have described is exactly what you need, an audio control panel. You could have a mixer that would allow both to play through them and mix the audio, or a simple switch panel to switch the input from one set of outputs to the other.

3. FrenchPoodle

do you have any recommedations or where I could get them (maybe newegg has something like this?)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've never looked for anything like this, so I can't actually point you to a specific source.

5. FrenchPoodle

anybody know of any good ones?

6. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

I know a cheaper way to do this. Although it would require the PC to be on, while playing the Xbox in order for the speakers to work. This is how you do it:
    1. Plug in the speakers into your sound card normally.
    2. Buy (Radio Shack) a cable that converts 1/8 headphone jack to a red and white RCA connector.
    3. Plug the Xbox in to the TV normally.
    4. Plug the 2 RCA connectors (1 red, 1 white) into the audio out on the TV.
    5. Plug in the 1/8 headphone jack on the other end of the cable to the line in on the sound card.
    WALLA!!!!!!!!
    If it doesn’t work try plugging the 1/8 headphone jack into other holes on the sound card until it works.
    I do it when I want to play DVD’s off of my PC onto my TV, with audio and video. But you do not need the video

7. FrenchPoodle

so if I do this, technically If both my 360 and my computer made a sound at the same time, I would hear them both correct?. And Pluggining it into the headphone jack... since headphones are technically 2.0 right? wouldn't that jack just put out 2.0 and not 5.1? Because there is no 5.1 surround sound head phones really, right?

8. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

they will make sounds at the same time. i use this for my 4.1 system. maybe it is 2.0 but it sounds fine.

9. lilLB

lilLB

question on this... by puttin the headphone jack in the line in it will just play out of the speakers? or are there any settings i have to change?

10. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

11. lilLB

lilLB

not exactly what i was asking but thanks anyways
    but i did test it out last night and it worked but i have a mono plug so ill have to return it and get a stereo one so i get atleast 2.0 sound

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice