1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a desktop XP PC with a laptop VISTA

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Katylar, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katylar

Katylar Thread Starter

I'm a real noob, and I don't know if the question is extremely stupid, but is it possible to connect my two computers with a UTP cable?

You see, the DVD writer is on the laptop, and it would take a long time to transfer files from the desktop using my 1gb Flash Disk... I was planning on writing my videos and music, to free up some space on my hard drive (my laptop is running low, too.)

I have a DSL connection, so of course I have a UTP cable from the modem that I plug into either my Desktop or Laptop LAN port (is this what's called an ethernet port)

Is there a way to use that cable and the Ports on my Laptop and Desktop to connect the two computers? Maybe a special piece of software to make it happen?

I don't have the money to buy one of those usb-to-usb cables, you see.

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need an Ethernet crossover cable to directly connect the two computers.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  4. Katylar

Katylar Thread Starter

Sorry, as I said before, I'm a real newbie about practical networking (the only training I had was in a Cisco course I took when I was in highschool)...

So I just connect my desktop and laptop using my UTP through their ethernet/LAN/NIC ports?

I didn't work last time...

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a make/model of the two computers?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "So I just connect my desktop and laptop using my UTP through their ethernet/LAN/NIC ports?"

Yes, but please remember that I only said there's "a good chance" that the Vista's port is auto-sensing. If neither computer has an auto-sensing port you will need, as JohnWill stated, a cross-over ethernet cable. This looks superficially just like your cable, but the connectors are wired differently and the cable will be labeled "cross-over."

The first thing to do, in my opinion, when connecting a cable between two computers is to see if you have basic communication. The following tests help.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If one of these works and the other fails you almost certainly have a 3rd party firewall (internet security) blocking access. You have to uninstall or properly configure it for LAN access.

If both fail you have a 3rd party firewall on one or both computers blocking access, or a bad cable, or a bad ethernet port on either computer.

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice