1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a Lexmark X5850 printer through my Netgear N600 wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blengelking, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blengelking

blengelking Thread Starter

I was told when I purchased my router that I would be able to connect my printer through it when I finally bought a laptop. Ive recently purchased a Dell laptop and I can figure out how to it set up to print wirelessly. Please give me some ideas!!!

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

is that the correct model number - just checked US lexmark site and could not find the model

3. blengelking

The found 4437-001 on the back of the printer. The box says X5650.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

5. blengelking

Ive checked through the manuals and according to them I have to buy another part to do it. I was told by the guy I bought my router through that I could run any printer though the router and it would allow me to print wireless. The router is a Netgear N600. I just cant seem to figure out how to do it.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If and only if is network ready (includes an ethernet or wireless adapter) or is connected to a compatible print server. The exception would be a router with a built-in print server; does that router include a print server?

7. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

looking at the router specification here http://www.netgear.com/products/ser...gabit-ethernet-routers-gateways/WNDR3700.aspx the USB connection is only for storage - so you cannot connect ANY printer to that router - as TerryNet has said - only a network enabled printer

have a look at page 21 of this manual and the item no 15 - which shows the wireless indicator -
    http://www.lexmark.com/publications/pdfs/2007/5600-6600/v7677571_en.pdf
    - do you have a wireless indicator on the printer that would help confirm if it has network capability

Page 45 starts to discuss the wireless capability and how to setup

Page 63 - mentions a MAC address label on the back of the printer - that would be a good starting point , if it has a wireless print server already than it should also have the Mac address on the printer as shown

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986897