connecting a Mac and a PC with ethernet cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

McCloud

I was trying to directly connect a Macbook and a PC with a standard ethernet cable.. without a router.
Set the IP ad subnet mask on the PC to

and on the Mac

all basic stuff.

I was able to ping the Mac from the PC, however not the other way round

So when I tried to "connect to a server" from the Mac, it didn't work.

Am I doing something wrong here ?
I was connected like this before and it was working... not sure what's going on.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I know with a Windows to Windows one must use a "Crossover" cable NOT the standard Cat5 type.

TerryNet

Terry
That's pretty old knowledge, David. :) Almost all ethernet adapters made in the last decade (or longer) have been auto-sensing, meaning that crossover cables are not needed.

My top suspect is that you have a firewall on the PC blocking (or not responding to) pings.

McCloud

ah, good point. I remember something like this from my networking classes too lol.

The funny thing is, I already had it working couple months back.

I have now tried the same cable as before and still no luck.

I was able to get a ping both ways, but then I realized I had the wifi turned on as well on the Mac.. and I was pinging the network router, which had also the 192.168.1.1 IP..

TerryNet

Terry
If you have a router using LAN IP subnet 192.168.1.x I advise to use a different subnet for your other LAN to avoid confusion. I find that 10.0.0.x IPs are easy to type. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online