1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a mobile network & getting a specific IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OM2, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I tether using my mobile.
    I need to be able to control the IP address that I get allocated.

I've developed a mini program that logs the IP address I get.
    Restart the phone and you get a new IP address (better still, turn on and off airplane mode, gives you the same thing).

So... I have a finite list of IP addresses.

Is there ANY way I can control what IP address I get?
    Someone told me no... you JUST get randomly allocated.
    I'm guessing no... there *has* to be a way of getting a specific IP address?
    I know the IP address is available.

I would add: the exact physical location where you access from matters (I think). So if I am on one side of the city and then move to the other side, then the list of finite IP addresses will change. This is my guess. BUT... in my case... I will always be in one location. I thought I would just mention this in case it mattered somehow.

+ Ignoring the fact that for whatever reason an IP address could be out of action for some reason. For the moment, let's ignore this possibility.

Any ideas?

A worst case solution would be to be able to rapidly get an IP address, drop it, get a new one and do repeatedly until the desired one was assigned. Currently the quickest way is to turn off and on airplane mode. But from start to finish, this can take 30 seconds.

ALSO: I don't want to use a VPN.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The answer is still no despite want you want to believe. Unless you own the cellular back haul equipment and create a reservation for your specific device to a specific IP. Dynamic IPs/DHCPs are called dynamic for a reason. You may get the same IP based on geographical location and lease parameters set by the network administrators of the cellular carrier. But there's no way for you to influence any of this.

The other question is why do you care about what IP you get. Especially operating off of a mobile network.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Public IP addresses assigned by the cell provider, or private IP addresses assigned by the mobile?

4. valis

valis Moderator

As zx10guy stated, why?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice