Connecting a Network Printer to AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B Wireless Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TJBlues

Can anyone help out here because AT&T is definately not. I have a Minolta QMS2200 printer (network ready) and I am trying to get it to work with my network. AT&T supplied me with a 2701HG-B 2Wire wireless router modem for the DSL service.

I follow the instructions in the printer manual for setting a IP Address in the printer (I set it to 192.168.001.032). I connect it to one of the ports on the back of the router. I set up a new printer on my computer as recommended in several posts (set it up as a local printer with an IP address, the one above). I can not print to it or even see it on the network.

AT&T says that they only support DHCP and do not support static IP addresses and that is why the printer will not work and want to sell me static IP address for $70 per month for 5!!!! Or I need to get a network printer that supports DHCP.

Has anyone been successful in installing a network printer on the 2701HG-B?

TerryNet

Terry
I will not comment on AT&T's "advice" because this is a family friendly forum and I cannot set a bad example.

What is the router's Dhcp server's IP address range?

TJBlues

I believe the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.113 (50 IP address starting at 64).

TerryNet

Terry
Then 192.168.1.32 should be OK for the printer. Can you ping it from a computer?

TJBlues

I do not get a reply on the ping (I get a ping time out). I can not see it on the 'home network' page of the router. There are 0 connections to the LAN on that page (all my computers are laptops and connected wirelessly and they appear on the 'home page').

TerryNet

Terry
Sounds like the problem is between the router and the printer. The mask you assigned is 255.255.255.0, right? And, I'm assuming that's the mask used on the router's LAN.

Could be a defect in the router LAN port, the ethernet cable, or the printer's ethernet port.

Connect a computer in place of the printer to see if the LAN port and cable are OK.

TJBlues

Subnet mask is 255.255.255.000 same as the router's mask. Cable and router LAN port are ok.

Later today I am going to try connecting a computer and the printer through a Netgear WGR614 - I know how to set static IPs and perform IP/MAC binding on that device. That way I think I can test the printer's eithernet port.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online