1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a new sata DVD drive - problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by holden_teen, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holden_teen

holden_teen Thread Starter

Hi, I currently have a IDE dvd drive, and now want to install a Sata DVD drive. I had a card adapter (for sd, xd cards etc), but I did not have another Sata cable, so I have disconnected the card reader, and used the cable for the DVD drive.

Now when I start up the computer, it is continually coming up with "disk boot error please insert system disk and press enter". I have searched google and this forum, but don't understand a few things.

Firstly, I am using IDE cables for one of the DVD drives, and a Sata cable for the other. I was reading that is might be changing it to a master... Not exactly sure what this means, but in Bios, is says 0 Master: Old dvd drive, 2 Master: New DVD drive. What am I doing wrong for this to be coming up? I know the new one should be coming up as 0 Slave, but its not...???

I have disconnected the new dvd drive, and connected the old one (as it was), and it is still coming up with the same error... Have I dont something wrong?

Thanks in advance. I apologise if I haven't included all the information you need. Just reply back with what I have forgotten.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Did you disconnect the hard drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/728311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice