1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a PC hard drive to a Mac

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by np1985, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. np1985

np1985 Thread Starter

Ok, basically my PCs hard drive needs formatting due to a virus, but I want to try and recover some documents and files I have on there before I do that. I figured Id hook up my hard drive to my Macbook laptop using a hard drive enclosure and store the files I need on there. Just a couple of things I need to know first:

1) Will this work? I know Macs cant write to NTFS partitions, but can they read and copy from them?

2) What kind of enclosure do I need? My hard drives 3.5" SATA, so obviously something that can accept that. I preferably want one with a Firewire port for fast file transfer speeds. Ive looked on Ebay for one but have been slightly confused by all the options I have.

3) Are they easy to use/setup?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

1. It should. Personally, I dual-boot Linux and Windows. Linux is able to read and copy from my Windows hard drive fine, even before I installed an NTFS writer.

2. You shouldn't have much of a problem for getting a HD enclosure. In a few minutes of searching on NewEgg.com, I found this enclosure for $25, and it is just what you are looking for. Plus, it has good reviews.

3. I'm not sure. Theoretically, yes. Just make sure you don't boot from it.

3. np1985

np1985 Thread Starter

Oh im just retrieving files from the HD is all. No boot ups or anything like that. Thanks for your help :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/634744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice