1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting a SATA HD to an IDE cable/board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dan k, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan k

dan k Thread Starter

Hey folks,

I'm trying to hook up a new 1TB hard drive on my old dell dimension 8200. I had both hd slots already filled so I removed the original slave drive to make room, and connected the the new 1TB SATA drive via an adapter that plugs into the slot on the hd and turns into the IDE connection (with pins) and power supply input on the other side,.

The SATA drive came with no jumper, and I read that the jumper settings for SATA had different meanings anyway. Not sure how the motherboard would respond, I started going thru the configs, borrowing the jumper from my old drive to use on the SATA

IDE drive:.....master...master...master..master...master...cable select...cs.....cs
    SATA drive:..none......1/2........3/4........5/6.......7/8.......none...........1/2....3/4

etc...

I always get one or more of the following error messages in various combiations.

Primary hard disk drive 0 not found
    Primary hard disk drive 1 not found
    Plug and play configuration error (x3)

Then I gave up and hooked my old drive back up the original way and it was recognized and the OS booted without hesitation.

So... Anyone have any experience connecting SATA drives to IDE and/or can offer some insight? I must have my TB of storage :eek:

***update*** I found the master/slave jumper on the adapter. tried both settings, no luck there either. more specifically: drive 0 (ide) set to master, no jumper on the sata drive itself, tried both settings on adapter.

2. BG-0

BG-0

I don't know about connecting SATA drives to IDE connector.. You'd propably have better luck getting a add-on PCI SATA controller card, or a USB cable to connect it. The onboard IDE controller propably won't understand how the SATA drive is configured... Although the adapter is supposed to make it.

3. dan k

dan k Thread Starter

it looks like this. not the exact same one. (img hotlinked)

[​IMG]

according to the packaging it converts the signal onboard and basically looks as though it was made just for this purpose... right now I'm thinking 1TB may be too large for it, among any number of other things. I'm hoping to take a couple more whacks before going the external route.

4. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah, I've seen those and I wouldn't personally ever use them, no guarantee to work at all, IMO.
    No need to go external, as I said, get a PCI SATA add-on card... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280001 (will be faster than connecting to an IDE connector, FYI.)
    But go ahead and give it a few whacks, let it be anything varying from throwing the adpater to the nearest wall to anything else...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/770330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice