1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a USB only adsl modem to a wireless router - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by computernooob, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computernooob

computernooob Thread Starter

Hi guys, i have many devices in my home that can use the internet wirelessly, so i wanted to buy a wirless router. But the problem is that all of the wireless routers that i have seen require you to insert your modem via Ethernet cable. And my modem only has one intergrated USB cable coming out of it, so there is no way of putting it in. i have a speedtouch 330 adsl usb modem and im recieving free broadband from Orange (they give free broadband to their mobile phone subscribers who have stayed with them for a long time). anyway, i was wondering if anyone on these forums could help me. is it possible to connect a USB modem to a wireless router? and if no, do you think if i phone up orange they will replace my USB modem for ethernet one?

Thankyou in advance, and help would be much appreciated:)

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If you are leasing the modem from them,I don't see why
    you couldn't take it in and exchange it.
    You could buy your own modem and return theirs and
    save on payments for the modem.

Other option is to buy a wireless router with an integrated
    DSL modem.

3. computernooob

im not really sure where i could go to return/ exchange it. ill probabally have to phone them up, but their customer service is very bad. could you please tell me about a wirless router with intergrated dsl modem? i dont understand how that would work:confused: does that mean that i would no longer need the modem and just that router? if it is like that then thats amazing! But i have software on my pc which i have to use to connect to the internet and i think that software is spefic to that modem so if i got rid of it i dont think i would be able to use it. And i bet the intergrated dsl means that it will probably cost double the price. I had my eye on this router: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wire...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271096254&sr=8-6 has that router got intergrated dsl?

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

5. computernooob

isnt there some sort of 802.11n wirless router without intergrated dsl but i can insert my modem into it through USB and not Ethernet. A link would be greatly appreciated

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't think a router with a USB port for storage is going to work with a USB modem.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll put a more concrete spin on that statement. NO WAY! ;)

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If the USB is on the WAN side of the router it is most likely for a cellular modem connection. Not sure if they work with DSL modems.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice