Connecting a WindowsXP machine to a Windows98 machine via Direct Cable Connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AtreideS

Ok,
Last night I just got my brand new Athlon XP 1500. Anway It's running WindowsXP. I have been trying all morning to connect it to my old laptop (running Windows 98) using Direct Cable Connection. The AthlonXP is the Host and the Laptop is the Guest. I can get both computers connected fine, BUT when I try to get the Laptop to view the AthlonXPs files it asks me for the name of the AthlonXP as well as a password. I type in the name of the PC (there is no password). I try clicking ok, but it tells me the passoword is incorrect. There is no passwords setup on the AthlonXP at all! Please help. Thanks.

XP is based on 2000, you need to set up the user on the laptop as a recognised user on the xp machine and give it the appropriate security privilidges.

AtreideS

Thanks for your help. I have fixed the problem. Thankyou very much. I simply changed the WinXP machine to the guest and made the Win98 machine the host, after doing this I changed a few settings ans whola! It was able to transfer files. Thanks

XP is based on 2000, you need to set up the user on the laptop as a recognised user on the xp machine and give it the appropriate security privilidges.

How do I do it?

AtreideS

Hi daisydaddy,

The trick was to make the Windows XP machine the Guest and the Windows 98 machine the Host. My original problem was because I was trying it the other way around.

The following is from a guide I found using google: (http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/DCC-Windows 95_98 to Windows XP.pdf ) It goes through step by step what you need to do. Sorry If I was a bit slow and responding to your problem too, if you look at the date on my post it was 02-Dec-2001, and I haven't been active on those forums since then. Anyway, good luck with it.
3.Configuring Destination PC (Windows XP)
a. Create a new Direct Parallel Connection
• Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections
• In Network Tasks, click Create a new connection. Click Next.
• A Welcome Screen appears. Click Next.
• In Network Connection Type screen, select Set up an advanced connection. Click Next.
• Select Connect directly to another computer in Advanced Connection Options screen. Click Next.
• Select Guest and click Next.
• In the Connection Name, type a name of the other computer, for example, “Source PC”. Click Next.
• Select a device Direct Parallel (LPT1). Click Next.
• If desired, Click Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop. Click Finish.
• Connect Source PC window appears. Click the Cancel button; do not connect the PCs right now.

b. Set Direct Parallel Connection
• Select Source PC Direct Connection from Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections
• Right click on Source PC Direct Connection, Select Properties.
• Select Options Tab – Check only Display progress while connecting – Don’t Click OK yet
• Select Networking Tab, Make sure all protocols and services are installed / checked, You should see.
Client for Microsoft Networks (shows a grayed-out checkbox, this is normal) �� Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks �� QoS Packet Scheduler (shows a grayed-out checkbox, this is normal)
Click OK to close Source PC Properties.
Note: I also emailed the above post to you daisydaddy.

AtreideS

For Windows 98 you probably need to install DCC. To do that you simply put the Windows CD in the drive. Open up Add/Remove Programs, then to the Windows Files section, then you should be able to find it in there (maybe in a submenu), just tick the box and it will install it off the CD.

Of course it might already be installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online