1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a WindowsXP machine to a Windows98 machine via Direct Cable Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AtreideS, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

Ok,
    Last night I just got my brand new Athlon XP 1500. Anway It's running WindowsXP. I have been trying all morning to connect it to my old laptop (running Windows 98) using Direct Cable Connection. The AthlonXP is the Host and the Laptop is the Guest. I can get both computers connected fine, BUT when I try to get the Laptop to view the AthlonXPs files it asks me for the name of the AthlonXP as well as a password. I type in the name of the PC (there is no password). I try clicking ok, but it tells me the passoword is incorrect. There is no passwords setup on the AthlonXP at all! Please help. Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. B3gbie

B3gbie

XP is based on 2000, you need to set up the user on the laptop as a recognised user on the xp machine and give it the appropriate security privilidges.

4. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I have fixed the problem. Thankyou very much. I simply changed the WinXP machine to the guest and made the Win98 machine the host, after doing this I changed a few settings ans whola! It was able to transfer files. Thanks

5. daisysdaddy

daisysdaddy

I changed a few settings ans whola! It was able to transfer files. Thanks
    please tell me how!

6. daisysdaddy

daisysdaddy

XP is based on 2000, you need to set up the user on the laptop as a recognised user on the xp machine and give it the appropriate security privilidges.

How do I do it?

7. prashax

prashax

8. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

Hi daisydaddy,

The trick was to make the Windows XP machine the Guest and the Windows 98 machine the Host. My original problem was because I was trying it the other way around.

The following is from a guide I found using google: (http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/DCC-Windows 95_98 to Windows XP.pdf ) It goes through step by step what you need to do. Sorry If I was a bit slow and responding to your problem too, if you look at the date on my post it was 02-Dec-2001, and I haven't been active on those forums since then. Anyway, good luck with it.
    Note: I also emailed the above post to you daisydaddy.

9. daisysdaddy

daisysdaddy

Do I also need software to make a DCC connection?

10. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

For Windows 98 you probably need to install DCC. To do that you simply put the Windows CD in the drive. Open up Add/Remove Programs, then to the Windows Files section, then you should be able to find it in there (maybe in a submenu), just tick the box and it will install it off the CD.

Of course it might already be installed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice