1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a Wireless router to DHCP Disabled wired router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daziguy, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daziguy

daziguy Thread Starter

I am a novice when it comes to networking so please help me out...
    I am connecting Netgear wireless router (wgr614 v5) to an already placed router on the network (Nortel Networks Router). I am having trouble with wireless router because the Nortel router is DHCP disabled. Please if someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate. Please, explain step by step how to configure the wireless router to work with Nortel router.

P.S. The Nortel router cannot be DHCP enabled...I have DSL coming to Nortel router. So, Nortel is the primary router. Nortel router can't be removed because it is required by my company that I use it to connect to their network over the internet.

Thanks for your help!

2. coulterp

coulterp

You could plug a LAN port of the WGR614 to a LAN port of the Nortel, which with DHCP disabled would be used therefore as a switch rather than as a router. DHCP from the WGR614 would serve your LAN.

But this all rather assumes that the route off your LAN to the internet is though the WAN port of the WGR614 rather than via the Nortel - you don't give enough information about the overall setup, for example why the Nortel cannot be removed.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together with DHCP disabled.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of any other IP addresses on the subnet.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. daziguy

daziguy Thread Starter

I have DSL coming to Nortel router. So, Nortel is the primary router. Nortel router can't be removed because it is required by my company that I use it to connect to their network over the internet.

JohnWill, if u could break down some of the things I don't understand I would realy appreciate.

1) "Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of any other IP addresses on the subnet."

How do I configure in the same subnet but out of the range of any other IP addresses on the subnet? Please explain with example if u can.

2) "Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router."

What do you mean by this? Specifically what settings are you talking about?

3) "Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!"

I can connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. There is no uplink port and I don't know if routers have autosensing ports. In what case do u want me to use a cross-over cable? What is a cross-over cable?

I am sorry that u have to put with somebody so novice like me but the statement "There's no such thing as a stupid question,
    but they're the easiest to answer!" is very encouraging for me at this point.

Thanks for your patience and all your help!

5. coulterp

coulterp

1. Generally you would set the IP address of the secondary router to be, say, 192.168.0.250 (if using the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 subnet). Then if the DHCP router was only set to issue addrs 192.168.0.2 -- 192.168.0.200 (more than an ample number of addresses?) you'd be safely out of the issuing range (thus no chance of an IP addr being issued by the DHCP-server clashing with the secondary router IP addr).

2. I believe it is the wireless settings that are being referred to here. Whatever way the router is being used (as primary or secondary router) the wireless settings will be the same (use of encryption, channel used, SSID that sort of thing).

3. The WGR614 is autosensing.
    For cables see: http://resource.godps.com/cat5.htm

However, it sounds like the Nortel is the primary and the WGR614 the secondary, and that the DHCP is disabled on the primary (Nortel), quote "The Nortel router cannot be DHCP enabled". So the situation described in point 1 above does not exist as this entails disabling DHCP on the secondary (WGR614) while have DHCP enabled on the primary. So if you "... connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router" in your current set-up you will, as I see it, have no DHCP server on your LAN. Not a disaster, but you would have to manually assign IP addrs in all devices.

6. JohnWill

1) Make sure the IP address of the secondary router doesn't collide with any IP address on the network. colterp described that pretty well.

2) Just what I said, the configuration of the wireless section of the secondary router would be exactly the same if it were the primary router, just follow the standard configuration directions.

3) I think colterp addressed this one two, you have autosensing ports. A crossover cable is used to conect like devices together, like two computers, two switches, two hubs, etc. The autosensing ports eliminate the need for a crossover cable, since they sense that the polarity of the connectons is incorrect and automatically switch.

7. daziguy

daziguy Thread Starter

Thanks guys very much, I'll try and follow ur directions hope everything works out...I'll let ya know.

8. JohnWill

Good luck. :)

9. daziguy

daziguy Thread Starter

Thanks guys everything worked out fine but having two DHCP disabled routers is a bit disaster...for some reason one of the computer is not connecting to the network when I assign an IP to it but on the other computer same IP works.

As well, there is a Western Union computer on the network which only works when the IPs are automatically assigned to it meaning it doesnÂ’t allow to manually assign an IP to it (Blocked by western union). In this case the only available option I have is to make the Netgear router DHCP enabled. Is there a way to do that?
    I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

10. JohnWill

You can't use the same IP address for two computers, that sounds like what you're saying here.

If you create a very small DHCP pool on the Netgear and manually assign all of the IP addresses except the one machine, the existing lashup should work. I'm somewhat confused, since you can't enable DHCP on the original router, how did you get the WU computer working before?

11. daziguy

daziguy Thread Starter

No, I didn't use the same IP for two computers at the same time. I switched the wires between two computers to see if that one particular IP was good and if it worked, and it worked on one but not on the other. (I didn't have both computers connected to the network at same time).

Actually, I was playing around with the Netgear router and somehow it worked with the Nortel router (which is DHCP Disabled). I hadn't turned off the DHCP in the Netgear router so, I was connected to the network with Netgear acting as DHCP server. Everything worked fine including the WU Computer and the other computer which doesn't work when manually assigned an IP to it.

At this point, the only problem I had was my wireless network was wide open without any SSID or WEP. When I tried to get into the router setup page I couldn't. So, I had to call Netgear support but they couldn't get in the setup either so they had me reset the router and turn off DHCP which brought me back to my miserable situation of having a network without a DHCP server.

Once again, is there a way to turn on DHCP on Netgear router?
    Any help would be appreciated. TIA

12. coulterp

coulterp

13. JohnWill

You need to consider the ramifications of enabling the DHCP server on the secondary router. When it assigns gateway and DNS addresses, you have to make sure they point somewhere valid, or you'll still have issues.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice