1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting a wireless & wired router to each other ...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Metro Devil, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metro Devil

Metro Devil Thread Starter

Can this be done?

I have a cable modem going into a Linksys BEFSR41 router ... then i have a rj-45 going into my Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router.

Is it possible for me to get everything on my network to see each other?

I have 2 computers connected to the wired router. On the wireless router i have a wireless laptop connected and a wired desktop.

Thanks!

-md

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't use the WAN port on the WGR614, but rather connect to one of the LAN ports with the connection from the BEFSR41 router. You could also just use the WGR614 as your only router...

3. Metro Devil

Thank you for the reply ...

Now will that give me any sort of security issues? I will still have my WEP setup, right?

-md

4. JohnWill

Should still offer the security, the WEP is not connected to the WAN port functionality on the router.

5. Metro Devil

Okay .. thanks again!

I'll try it tonight ...

6. Metro Devil

Ok ... that worked fine ...

However, I can't get into the wireless router's setup page. Is there anything that i can do to make that possible?

7. JohnWill

Connect the machine you are using to access the wireless configuration directly to one of the LAN ports on the wireless router.

You may also want to change the IP address of the wireless router, since it may be defaulting to the same address as the other router. If so, you won't be able to see one of them, especially on the other side of the other router.

8. Metro Devil

So I can't do it through my wireless NIC?

9. JohnWill

Normally, the wireless side does not have access to the configuration as a security measure.

In addition, until you configure the wireless side, you don't have wireless connectivity to configure it! :D

10. Metro Devil

You're good at this ... and I really appreciate your help! :D

Originally, I actually was able to gett into the setup through the wireless card. And now that you mention it, it probably is a decent security risk ... especially if I didn't change the password.

I configured all the wireless side info, and then I unchecked the DHCP option. That was the last time I was able to connect to the router's setup with any computer.

I'm not having problems seeing PCs on my network, and all the machines are getting an IP from the wired linksys.

11. JohnWill

Check the manual for the wireless router and reset it to factory defaults, then you can follow the manual advice for initial configuration.

You want all the machines to get their IP addresses from one DHCP server, it makes things a lot simpler, so that's OK. That DHCP server should also be associated with the router connected to the Internet, since it also supplies the DNS addresses and the gateway to the Internet. The other router will really just be a switch and WAP for the wireless stations.

12. etienne95

etienne95

This thread was one of the first I found on this subject and is very useful. I've got my setup to work here too, old router into my wireless router, and it wasn't a slam dunk. I am writing to offer a quick recap to all the others who are looking to do the same.

1. Set up your main router (the one that gets the internet connection) normally, and remember the address range its DHCP server hands out. For example, mine takes 192.168.0.1 and hands out from 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.0.100.

2. Reset your second router (hold the reset button for 10 seconds or up to a minute, depending on the model) so that it reverts to factory settings. The second router is the one that will plug into the main one. It is the one you want acting as a hub.

3. With the second router by itself (nothing connected to its internet/WAN port ), connect a PC to one of its LAN ports (one of the 4 other ports). You want to edit the router configuration. Using a connection straight to that router and nothing else connected, you should be able to access the router's configuration page using Internet Explorer. Enter 192.168.0.1 in Internet Explorer (or Netscape, any web browser). You should be prompted for a user name and password. In most cases you will find this information in your documentation, but the standard is "admin" with "password" as the password.

4. Disable DHCP on the second router.

5. Change the second router's IP to 192.168.0.254 (I am not certain if this is necessary, but I read it somewhere else and did it).

6. Connect the second router in the first one using a CROSS OVER CABLE. The connection should go from a regular LAN port on the main router to a LAN port on the second one too, NOT the WAN port.

That's about it. I hope I didn't forget anything. This should work. That's my setup here with my two Netgear routers.

If you wired your house with straight cable (instead of crossover), now's the time to buy one of those crimping tools and fix the cable yourself! It's a fun project.

Good luck.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/140336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice