1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Connecting an all in one PC and laptop for dual monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arterca, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arterca

Arterca Thread Starter

I want to connect my windows 10 laptop to my windows 8.1 all in one pc with HDMI cables so I can extend my laptops display to my PC. I've been searching around to see if anyones done it, or if it's even possible, but I can't find anything about it.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Arterca, and welcome to TSG.

You first need to check the product specifications of your all-in-one PC to see if it specifically has an HDMI Input connector. Most computers only have HDMI Outputs, but some with HDMI inputs do exist.

3. Arterca

Arterca Thread Starter

The all in one has input and output ports, i'm not sure if thats what youre talking about.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you know for sure that it has at least one HDMI input port, then it would just be a matter of having the right software running on the All-in-one to display the incoming HDMI video in in full screen mode. It might all ready have that function built into the video drivers or have a small app that needs to run. It may described as being for use with any HDMI video source and not necessarily for use as a second screen for a laptop.

5. Arterca

Arterca Thread Starter

Okay, so is there a way to connect the laptop to the pc with a few HDMI cables, or will I need something different. If I can connect it with HDMI cables how would I?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    1) Plug one end of an HDMI cable of suitable length into the HDMI output jack on the laptop.

2) Plug other end of HDMI cable into an HDMI video INPUT jack on the All-in-one computer.

3) Use whatever display manager software or any display function keys on the laptop's keyboard to enable the display video on both the laptop's built-in display and also to the HDMI output jack. The exact procedure would depend on the brand and model number of the laptop and the operating system it is running.

4) On the all-in-one-computer use the correct settings on whatever Windows display control panel is on the computer or a suitable app to display the incoming video on the HDMI INPUT jack to the all-in-one's screen. The exact procedure would depend on the brand and model number of the all-in-one computer and the operating system it is running.

7. Arterca

Arterca Thread Starter

It worked, thank you!

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice