1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting android phone to Neatgear router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nintendo84, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nintendo84

Nintendo84 Thread Starter

A android phone needs to be urgently connected to my Neat gear WGR614v7 router.
    After putting WPA2 password in the wi-fi section of the phone, the phones wi-fi continually tries to connect to the router. Some times the phone gets connected to the router.
    But there are frequent outages at my place. So after an outage the phone again gets disconnected. Even if the signal strength is strong it keeps on saying checking network status, connecting and then disconnected and starts all over again. The phone then never seems to connect again to the router.
    The Net gear router hardware version is V7 and the firmware version is V2.0.30_2.0.30.
    Please give a solution as soon as possible.

Thank You.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 468057 MB, Free - 440856 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0N826N
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled ​

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have a PC working ok on the wireless - it may be channel interference

if you have a pc connected by wireless can we see

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx ( the site now appears to require a business email, so try the direct link below)
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres alternative links
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Monitor-Download-99109.html
    http://download.cnet.com/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector/3000-18508_4-75758254.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. Nintendo84

As for now, there was a connectivity issue with my laptop which works on wi-fi. I have now solved the connectivity issue with the laptop and the android phone is also getting connected but the connectivity between the phone is weak. So there was a channel interference. But I will also post the test results tomorrow.

4. Nintendo84

I have attached screenshots of the program running and also the speed,quality and connection test screenshots. I have also posted a screenshot regarding a Wi-Fi connectivity issue that I am still facing. My adapter name in networks is the first one NETGEAR. Though the network and sharing center says signal strength is excellent and I am able to connect to the internet with no problem there is a issue regarding some misconfiguration or something. Some times a second network shows up and the internet gets automatically connected over there. I then have to deleted that connection. On logging in PC connects to internet saying connected to internet then after 3 minutes or few seconds the network logo on task bar which shows access bar goes from connected to internet to local and internet and then local whiten a few seconds and then the connection stays on local. Please have a look at the screenshots and reply.

Thank You.

Attached Files:

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    change the wireless channel in the router to use wireless channel 6

the line quality is poor , can you connect a cable between the router and the laptop and switch wireless off , and re test and see what the speed and quality is like

6. Nintendo84

I am using channel 11. Yah I will do it tomorrow. Thank You.

7. Nintendo84

2 months back when I last used the laptop the wi-fi was absolutely fine. I dont know what went wrong. An employee from my ISP provider was called to check the wi-fi. He reseated the router. Then did changes in the network and sharing center but could not start the wi-fi. He told the laptop wi-fi is not working. Finally as you told it could be network interruption I tried to start the wi-fi with the cable and did a new set up of the wi-fi. But there are still some problems.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

9. Nintendo84

I re tested the speed and quality tests by switching of wireless and connecting through cable. The test results are better. I have attached screenshots of the new tests. Please have a look. Thank You.

Attached Files:

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what speed are you paying the ISP to have

0.33 is very slow

11. Nintendo84

I changed router channel to 6 but it is not helping. In fact over here there is no connectivity at all. Here a second unidentified public network gets added. A second network in the name netgear also gets added and sometimes also connected automatically even in channel 11 and the real name of the adapter is NETGEWAR. I have added the screenshot. Please have a look. Thank You.

Attached Files:

12. Nintendo84

I again switched on wi-fi and connected through it. The same problem is in channel 6. After connecting every thing was fine for first 2 minutes then suddenly it came back to how it was. a second adapter was also added with the name netgear which I deleted. I have attached screenshots. Please have a look.
    Thank You.

Attached Files:

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i'm a little confused on what you are doing

also can you post xirrus screen shots

I'm assuming you have two USB wireless adapters

14. Nintendo84

The ISP is providing a bandwith of 320kbh. I have a wired Motorola modem and a Netgear WGR614v7 wired router. Currently this laptop which is using windows vista home basic and a Android phone are connected.

When I go to network and sharing center then click on customise a set network location window appears. In this window at the bottom there is a merge or delete network location option. When I click on this option there are 2 network locations available. The first is my NETGEAR router and the secound is Network. If I switch to NETGEAR and then after a restart the connection switches to second location which is called Network. I cannot understand where is this second Network location coming from. I have attached Xirrus screenshot running and the current situation of the network. Thank You.​

Attached Files:

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry dont see what you mean

you have 1 netgear SSID from your wireless router

and thats what you need to connect to

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice