1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Broken Laptop Screen to Alternate Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EricIsMe, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EricIsMe

EricIsMe Thread Starter

I used a Samsung NP300E5A-A02UB laptop for over a year through an external monitor, ever since the screen broke on it. Never had any problems with it besides that. Until one day I, not thinking about it, shut down my PC through holding down the power button, because it was being too slow, couldn't even shut it down normally. But little did I know, doing that would make sure I can't use it again, as far as I can tell. Because I shut it down using the power button, I'm assuming the screen came up, the one either to repair or tell me the pc shut down incorrectly, or bios, or whatever it is. But since my external monitor doesn't turn on until after my pc is signing in, it won't turn on. Normally it would just kick on automatically when signing in. So I'm completely blind to what I'm doing and can't get my monitor on. Literally all I need is a sneak peak at it to get it to turn on all the way, but I don't know how. I've tried a few things already, that I've found online, but never though to ask about it til now.

I've tried doing the little closing and then quickly opening up the laptop screen to fool the pc into turning it on.

I've tried manually unplugging my screen, in hopes it would use my external as a primary instead.

I've pressed the appropriate F key, or combination keys to turn it on.

Possibly other things, but I forget, it's been a little while.

All of these with no luck.

Literally all I may need to do is get past a few button clicks and I'll have a perfectlyish fine laptop to use again, but I can't figure it out. and spending $100 dollars on another screen seems a bit much when I've been getting by so fine without it.

My questions are.

Does anyone know of any other ways I may be able to get my external monitor to turn on?

Any way at all to see what I'm doing just so I can get past that simple part, so I can get using my pc again?

My external monitor uses VGA cables. Is there any chance an HDMI cable could do more than VGA?

Any thoughts or advice at all? Would be greatly appreciated!

I've spent a week trying to fix it, it's so frustrating knowing it's possibly just a few clicks away.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. EricIsMe

EricIsMe Thread Starter

I have physically disconnected the cable to the screen already.

The problem with the CTRL-ALT-DEL is that it isn't turning on and logging in all the way, I think it's stuck on a repair screen or something of that nature, due to me holding down the power button to turn it off.

Then the hard thing about spending $73 dollars on it is if it actually is not turning on all the way because it won't or can't. Because it may be broken beyond that, due to the reason I shut it off originally or anything. So I could fix the screen to find out something worse is broken in it.

Is there any way to temporarily be able to see it, or like a way to rig up the screen so I can see it? it's just a simple crack throughout that is making most the screen just black or colors, not objects or anything, but can see colors if there is color on what I'm viewing.

Thanks!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    CTRL ALT DEL works at many stages, it doesn't need to be booted all the way. If its doing an automatic repair let it sit for a hour or so and then try CTRL ALT DEL to restart it or press ENTER a few times.

You could try reseating the RAM or trying only one stick of RAM at a time in case you think there may be an additional hardware issues that caused the crashed or that is preventing the laptop from booting all the way.

There's no magic way to connect a monitor beyond the normal video output ports.

5. EricIsMe

EricIsMe Thread Starter

Ok, I'll try all that, thanks!

6. EricIsMe

EricIsMe Thread Starter

Ok, so I tried the CTRL ALT DEL. But as soon as I get to DEL key, it seems to do kind of a restart, the screen goes black and it comes back on. One thing I noticed, the only thing I can really go off of what is happening, besides if the screen is on or off, the hard drive light indicator on the front of the laptop. After I turn it on, it's on solid for a few minutes, and then off solid, but the screen is still on, other leds on. Then I press CTRL ALT DEL, then the DEL button restarts it, and it reads\writes on the hard drive for a few minutes again, then stop. Same when I press Enter key. So it seems there is some kind of obstacle keeping me from logging into my laptop all the way, to the point it will connect my external monitor.

So does anyone know what it could mean when I press Enter or DEL key, possibly others, and it restarts? Some issue?

Or what hard drive reading|writing for a few minutes then completely stopping means?

Seems like a new issue, so I posted a new thread

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. EricIsMe

EricIsMe Thread Starter

Down Arrow then Enter did the same thing, when pressing Enter it just restart. I don't know what screen I'm on, since my screen is broken and I couldn't get my external monitor work before my pc logs into my user.

One update, it seems no matter what I do, it's the same, DEL, Enter, ESC, maybe other, just restart the process it does. Until now, I pressed F2 on startup, it's suppose to be to go to BIOS. It stopped reading/writing right away, and the network light indicator never came on(usually it comes on). Also so far, no buttons seem to do anything, I tried pressing F9 and F10, which loads the default setup settings and saves the changes and exits setup, but they did nothing, as far as I know, no hard drive activity. Tried enter multiple times, tab, arrows. Nothing seemed to do anything in, what should be my BIOS, except CTRL ALT DEL, which just restarts the normal process over. Maybe I got some buttons wrong?

9. EricIsMe

EricIsMe Thread Starter

I could try F4 to go into recovery, but from there finding out what buttons I press and such would be a challenge.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Honestly, I think you should bite the bullet and either get a replacement screen or a new laptop.

11. EricIsMe

EricIsMe Thread Starter

Yes, probably. Thanks for the help!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice