1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting compter to comcast voice so I can fax using WIN fax and scan

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by phyljack1, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phyljack1

phyljack1 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 5992 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1924 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 928092 MB, Free - 843506 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, To be filled by O.E.M.
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated and Enabled

I wish to use WIN Fax and Scan program to send and receive faxes. While trying to connect the PC to the telephone line, I lose Comcast Voice (telephone service). I connected the modem to the wall telephone outlet and have telephone service but I don't know how to connect so I can use the fax program
    I have a double plug in the wall telephone outlet.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you talking about connecting the phone port on a Comcast eMTA (Modem) to the wall outlet or connecting some kind of fax modem?

Don't know what that is. Are you referring to an adapter that expands one phone jack to two jack?

If you are connecting directly from the computer to the phone wall jack, are you sure it is a modem port on the computer, and not an Ethernet port? Built-in fax/data modems are a dying breed in modern computers.

3. phyljack1

phyljack1 Thread Starter

Are you talking about connecting the phone port on a Comcast eMTA (Modem) to the wall outlet or connecting some kind of fax modem?
    Connecting phone port on a Comcast Modem. There are two ports for a telephone.

Don't know what that is. Are you referring to an adapter that expands one phone jack to two jack?
    Yes.

If you are connecting directly from the computer to the phone wall jack, are you sure it is a modem port on the computer, and not an Ethernet port? Built-in fax/data modems are a dying breed in modern computers.
    There is a connection between the computer to the phone wall jack because I'm using Comcast for telephone service. My question is what else do I have to do in order to fax.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. phyljack1

phyljack1 Thread Starter

What is the exact model number of your Lenovo computer?

IdeaCentre K3 Series Type 7247

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I found a PDF file of the user manual on the Lenovo web site for the K3 Series here:
    http://download.lenovo.com/UserFile...IdeaCentre K3 Series User Guide(AMD) V1.1.pdf

Pages 2 and 3 show the front and rear views of the computer. I don't see a phone cord jack for a built-in fax modem in either view. Does your computer look different? Do you have a fax modem card plugged into one of the expansion slots shown in locations 13 or 14 or below them, in the rear view?

7. phyljack1

phyljack1 Thread Starter

I have a USB to Dial Up adapter that I need to use..

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It would have saved both of us a lot time if you had mentioned up front you were using a USB dial-up adapter, including brand and model number, for the connection. I am not clairvoyant and can only work with the information you supply in your posts.

You will need to check the documentation for you particular dial-up adapter to see if it supports faxing or if it is data only. If it supports faxing then you will need to read its documentation as to if and how it can work with the Windows built-in faxing support or if you need to use other software.

9. phyljack1

phyljack1 Thread Starter

Sorry for not giving you all the details. Be patient with me....I'm a senior citizen and not as quick as I was years ago.

I'm using a Zoom 56k USB modem with OH & Data, Series 1063, Model 3095. I located in my collection of discs the installation disc. I'm offered four selections to download: External Serial Drivers; PCI Drivers; PC Cad Drivers and USB Drivers. Which one should I select?

Also, after installation, how should the connections be made?.

I appreciate the assistance you are providing.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not at all familiar with that adapter. I found information on the Model 3095 at the Zoom web site that may be of some help.

http://www.zoomtel.com/products/dial_up_external_usb.html

Since you are connecting to the adapter via USB, I would have to guess you install the USB drivers. There may be instructions printed on the disc for the exact installation steps to follow. If not, I would suggest leaving the adapter unplugged from the computer and running the installation software and see if it prompts you to connect the adapter at a specific installation step.

That page says the unit does support faxing using software that comes with the unit. I would assume that means it would be on the same disc as the driver installer. I have no idea if it works with any other faxing software. The specifications tab does claim the unit is compatible with Windows 98 through 7.

As for the connections, without knowing the full details about your home's telephone wiring and what is connected to it, I can only say that the phone jack on the USB adapter should connect to any phone jack in your home or on the Comcast eMTA (Modem) box that can give you a dial tone.

You say you loose voice when connecting the USB adapter. Use the jack splitter you mentioned to split one of the phone jacks on the Comcast eMTA (Modem) box to connect with both a wired telephone and the USB adapter. First, leave the USB adapter unplugged from both the phone line and the computer. Plug a telephone into the splitter and confirm you get dial tone. While listening to the dial tone on the phone, connect the USB adapter to the other jack on the splitter. If the dial tone goes away, I would say there is a defect in the USB adapter. If the dial tone is still there, then plug the adapter into the turned on computer. If the dial tone goes away, there may be a defect in the adapter hardware or with the driver software.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice