1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Desktop to Wireless Laptop for Internet.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by trystantj, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trystantj

trystantj Thread Starter

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (Windows XP) that has a wireless card built into it. I also have an HP Desktop (Windows Vista) that I used to go online with, plugging it directly into a modem. I no longer have the modem, however I am still able to go online with my laptop b/c I pick up a good connection from my neighbor.

So basically, I am wondering if there is any way I can plug my laptop into my desktop so the desktop picks up the connection.

I have already been looking into this for a couple days now, I found threads that were kind of helpful. Based on the threads, I have tried pluging an ethernet cat5e patch cable (is this the same as a crossover?) into both of the computers. I have messed around with network connections and changed the ip addresses all around. After hours and hours of doing this my ending result was this..............The Desktop's Local Area Connection said I was connected. However, when I tried going online I kept getting, "page could not be displayed". So I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do here is even possible or completely rediculous.

Somebody, please please help me!!!!!

I am not computer illiterate, I would say I'm Intermediate if that helps with answering me. And I already know my problem could be easily solved if I just go out and buy a wireless card to put in the computer but let's just say there is a reason why I no longer have my modem anymore. Now a days every dime I have is going directly into the mouths of my 3 and 5 year old. I have nothing extra!

I need the desktop for work the laptop just doesn't cut it. Any idea how to do this I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Site Rules - http://www.techguy.org/rules.html
    WiFi Piggybacking / Wardriving - We do not support the act of using someone else's Internet without permission. Also, please note that almost every ISP prohibits sharing your Internet connection with another home, and we will not assist you in breaking their rules.

3. trystantj

trystantj Thread Starter

I am sorry if I have broken any rules, honestly that is not what I came here to do. I'm not stealing my neighbors internet, I probably should have specified that my neighbor is one of my best friends, actually all my neighbors are family. We kind of have a compound thing going on here. Anyways, her network is secured and she gave me access to her passwords I swear. As far as the ISP I'm not sure what you mean.

And basically my question was is this something that can be done? If it is something illegal then I guess my answer would be no, because I am an honest person. I just needed some help. I guess I'll try elsewhere. Thanks for all your help.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's against the terms of service for the ISP to share the Internet in this manner, so you are breaking a law.

Closed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice