Connecting dock & KVM

Tafflad

Not Networking - but seems best sub-forum

Just starting new job and they have a provided 2 x wide screen monitors, a Thinkpad laptop and Thinkpad dock.
I have an existing PC ... which until now I connected to an Avocent switchview DVI (KVM)

Now I want to connect the lap top and PC as before but have option for Laptop to use 2 monitors.

The Dock has HDMI or Display Port for each monitor output.
Monitors have DVI & HDMI inputs

The switch view has DVI connections for video in and out, and also USB connections for all mouse keyboard and PC & Laptop USB connections.

My initial thoughts are to connect as shown .... is this the optimum (leaving the speakers & microphone out of the equation for clarity.

Blank Diagram.jpeg

cwwozniak

Chuck
Yes, that set-up should work for your intended purpose, assuming the one unlabeled connection from the switch to the desktop is USB.

Tafflad

Yes it is - I meant all 4 connections there are USB .. sorry not clear .. the KVM providing in effect a USB hub.

cwwozniak

Chuck
You should be good with that set-up then.

I vaguely recall that some older KVM switches had a problem working with computers running Windows 10 and possibly Windows 8 and 8.1 as well. When you switched to the other computer Windows would sense that the monitor was not connected and turn off the video output. It would not sense if you switched the monitor back and would keep the video off.

Tafflad

My current set up is a Laptop & Pc via the KVM to a monitor, kbd & mouse.
Both devices are W10 and work OK .... The only issue is that when you boot up a PC, the KVM must be switched to that PC or it is nor correctly identified and won't display video when you switch to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online