1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting external DVD and hard-disk to Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ronbarak, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronbarak

ronbarak Thread Starter

Hi,

For several weeks now, I have connected an 80 GB 3.5” hard-disk to a laptop (Hard-disk <-> IDE-USB cable <-> USB 2.0 hub <-> Laptop USB port). No problems.
    I now bought another IDE-USB cable and connected a DVD RW 3.5” device.

The device is recognized (PnP) in Win XP. However, when I try to burn a DVD, the DVD disappears from the disks’ list (in “my computer” and “disks management”).

I have not yet found the cause.
    My suspicion is that the combined traffic from the external disk and the load of burning a DVD is too much for the USB 2.0 protocol to handle.

Has anyone seen similar problems ?

Bye,
    Ron.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DVD-RW 3.5" device? Care to specify an exact make/model?

Does this mystery device work on a different computer, perhaps in conjunction with the same USB hard disk? I don't know of a reason this should happen, and I have a lot of mileage on USB drives here. :)

3. ronbarak

ronbarak Thread Starter

Hi John,
    Both hard-disk and DVD are working fine on a desktop.
    The DVD is a Pioneer DVR (cannot recall the exact model), about 3 years old.
    Bye,
    Ron.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I was curious about the 3.5" comment. ;)

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Assuming the drives have their own power which they must, there is really no reason they should not work on laptop.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/569233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice