1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Front Panel Ports To The Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morglum5780, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morglum5780

Morglum5780 Thread Starter

I recently bought some new hardware and have run into a few bumps connecting them internally (many of you saw my power supply post last night and helped, I appreciate it). I bought a new case (with audio/usb/firewire jacks on the front), a new firewire/usb pci card, and a 3.5” media card reader.

Now, my mobo has 2 sets of pins (2 rows of 5 pins with one missing) on it that the manual refers to as “USB2/USB3 Front Panel USB connector” and 1 set of pins (5 pins with 1 missing) called “J6: USB card reader connector”. Now, my 2 front panel usb ports only have 4 connectors each (VCC, d-, d+, grd) and my media card reader has a female connector made for 9 pins in 2 rows. These both sounds like exactly the opposite of what my manual refers them as. What do I do here? Am I stuck using the 4 pin with 1 of the front panel USBs and 1 of the 2 9 pins for the media card reader and losing the other front panel usb port or is there a way to connect both usb ports AND the media card? Stupid me thought this would be easy and the case would just connect to my internal usb port on my pci card like my gf’s computer.

I am having a similar problem with my audio connections, I only have 7 wires, yet there are 10 pins to connect to, worse so, the manual and the case use different terminology. Is there a link somewhere were I can read up on this?

And to top it off with a stupid question… my mobo mentions nothing about firewire ports anywhere in the manual, so I am guessing that even though I have firewire ports now through a pci card that there is no way to hook up that front port?

Well, thanks for any help you can offer, I think I will go spend an hour or so reading other posts and chipping in where I can, I’m starting to feel like quite the mooch around here. :)

2. bigbear

bigbear

USB headers http://www.directron.com/installusb.html
    Audio headers, you probably have jumpers on two setts of pins that allow audio to the front or back, you need to check the mobo manual for details.
    Front firewire, you need to install a pci firewire card to hook up to, do you need it? USB2 is faster than firewire.

3. Morglum5780

that link was great, thanks for the link.

My only problem is that my connectors only have 8 wires (2 VCC, 2 d+, 2 d- and 2 grd), their set ups show 9. Is it ok to just connect the 8 i have?

P.S. one of my 2 headers is right below my vid card. is it safe to have the wires from the usb ports touching the vid card board?

4. bigbear

bigbear

Yes the eight is more comman than the nine, sometimes there is 3 grds.
    The cables touching is not a problem , when I build systems I like to be quite tidy with the cables ,I use the self adhesive pads that the cable ties link into to keep the cables away from moving / hot parts.

5. Morglum5780

Well, these wires will be put in about half an inch or a quarter of an inch below the vid card and the same distance to the right of the fan on the bottom of the vid card. the only objects there is for the wires to touch are a) the bottom of board which is just normal plastic and soder, b) the fan, which has a plastic case around it and c) a resistor looking thing (excuse my ignorance) which kind of looks like a tiny metal cylinder, my vid card has several of them.

So, moving parts arent a problem, i don’t think heat is, unless "c" gives off heat. Being a near laymen when it comes to how electricity works in circuit boards, i don’t know if any problems can arise from the wires touching the bottom of the board.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice