1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Voodoomelon, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon Thread Starter

Hey all,
    I just built the machine below last night, and have encountered a problem.
    I just got a Gigabyte GA-8INXP P4 Titan 667 Motherboard, which has 4 IDE connectors, 2 of which are RAID. I also have an ATA133 Maxtor hard drive, and simply want to connect it, on its own, to one of the RAID connectors, to utilise the ATA133 capabilities of the Hard Drive, as the other 2 IDE connectors on the Motherboard only support up to ATA100, according to the manual. Can this be done? The Promise RAID manual only talks of installing 2 Hard Drives on the RAID connectors.
    I have connected the Hard Drive to one of the RAID connectors - IDE3,
    yet when I boot up past the BIOS screen, "Verifying Pool Data" appears, and it just hangs there.
    If I try and install Windows XP, the Windows setup tells me that there is no Hard Drive installed, yet the Hard Drive appears on boot as "Maxtor Ultra DMA 6". Do I have to change something in the BIOS, like the "RAID Controller Function", because I changed this from ATA to RAID and back a few times, yet still nothing.
    I say all this, because in the manual, the specifications state that the RAID IDE connectors support "RAID, Ultra ATA133/100, EIDE".
    Any help much appreciated.
    ;)

2. wedor

wedor

Did you install the drivers for it? Did you press f6 at the prompt to let XP know you have an extra driver disk?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The easy way to install is to connect it to the MB IDE and install Windows and the drivers for the RAID on-board controller, then move it to the RAID connector. FWIW, I doubt you'll see any improvement between ATA-100 and ATA-133 interface speed, since the interface is many times faster than the drive data transfer rate. I have an AOpen MB with the Promise Ultra-133 TX2 controller on-board, and I could measure no difference in performance of the Maxtor with the Ultra-133 interface. However, one benefit of the on-board controller was that it handles my 160gig and 200gig drives without issue, the MB BIOS only supports 128gig drives. :D

4. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon Thread Starter

Thanks guys.;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/121160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice