1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting hp deep computer to new led monitor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kimjf, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimjf

kimjf Thread Starter

I have an older hp d330 microtower computer with an crt hp7500 old monitor. My question is whether i can connect a new hp 2011x led monitor to it with good resolution . the old monitor was a plug and play, does the new one need to have plug and play also. it hosts extreme graphics. computer has 1280x1024 resolution and new one has 1600x900. if it will not work together, what do i need to make it work.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The problem you may have with switching from a CRT monitor to a LCD wide-screen monitor that's connected to an old desktop computer is its graphics device not having wide-screen resolution settings.

When its graphics device is limited to standard settings, everything looks "fat" and stretched horizontally.

You may need to install a video card that has wide-screen resolution settings.

---------------------------------------------------

3. kimjf

kimjf Thread Starter

how or where do i go to find the right video card that i need. also it has 865g intel r on the computer.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Compaq d330 Microtower that you might want to add and save in your browser favorites/bookmarks list.

From what I can determine, that desktop has an AGP slot for adding a 4x/8x AGP video card.

Here is an example of what it looks like.

I limited it to the fanless heatsink models because the cooling fan models will require more power than the 240-watt power supply in that desktop may be able to handle.

I also limited it to the NVIDIA chipset models because the ATI models have a problem working in some old computers that have Intel chipset/graphics.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you start worrying too much, connect that new monitor to that old computer and then start it up and then see if the display settings have the resolution you need.

I don't remember if the Intel 82865G integrated graphics device provides wide-screen resolution settings.

Also go to Windows Update and do a custom scan and then see if it detects and provides an INF file for that new monitor that you can install.

------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice