1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting internal SATA HDD as external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goedel, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3967 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 448568 MB, Free - 399972 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XFWHV
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

I am trying to connect an internal SATA HDD as an external drive for use as a backup medium for my system.

To connect the HDD, I am using a cable-set, consisting of a power-adapter, a cable adapter (6" long, 4-pin to SATA power fitting), two-sided femaile receptacle and ribbon-cable data fitting with a shielded UBS cable attached, 6" ribbon-cable.

With no power on, I connect the power-adapter and assorted cables and adapters to 125V AC power and to a USB port of my computer and to the SATA HDD. Everything seems to fit, mechanically.

I apply power to the computer and to the assembled SATA HDD components. The computer starts normally, but I do not notice any vibration, stirring, whirring of the SATA HDD. Also, when the computer is full booted, and I look at My Computer with Windows Explorer, I find that it does not recognize the presence of anything at a USB port, particularly not my SATA HDD.

I have tried fully booting the computer and connecting the HDD to the USB port afterwards, as I might a memory stick, but it is not recognized and, perhaps more significantly, the HDD's motor cannot be heard nor felt.

What do I know? I know that the power-adapter works. I know that when I connect another internal HDD which is an IDE type, using just the power-adapter and the shielded multi-receptacle USB cable, all works well.

The only connection differences with the SATA drive are the need to use the short 4-pin adapter cable and the short ribbon cable.

What is the problem, anyone?

2. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

PS I know that the SATA HDD is receiving power, because the underside of the drive is quite warm to the touch near the connectors.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What ribbon cable? Please take a picture of how it's connected.

4. valis

valis Moderator

maybe I'm missing something here, but why don't you just get a SATA enclosure?

5. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

valis: I would think you might guess the answer: an enclosure is far more expensive than an adapter and cable-set. They work very well for my IDE drive. I have already spent $350. plus tax for a new computer. I did not contemplate having to spend an additional $50 to $100 for a backup system. Is anything missing now?

6. valis

valis Moderator

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. valis

valis Moderator

this is the one I have. Think I paid 10 bucks for it new a few years back.

9. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Triple6 and valis: You have helped me before, and I appreciate your interest now. I do not own a camera, but I can give you a very good verbal description:

The ribbon cable is a 7-conductor cable, with a 7-connector contact fitting at each end. It is no more than a foot long with the fittings included. The cable itself is about 3/8" wide. One end connects to a contact fitting that is provided for the ribbon cable on the top of a two-sided, 40-pin/43-pin female receptacle. The triple fitting just described has a shielded cable, about 24" long attached to it. The other end of the shielded cable has a USB connector.

The power-adapter and cables are assembled and attached as follows: The power-adapter plugs into a 125V AC power source. Its output has a 4-pin female receptacle. That is in turn connected to a 6" long, 4-conductor adapter with a fitting at the far end that mates with one of the SATA drive's fittings. The ribbon cable plugs into the other of the SATA drive's fittings. The ribbon cable provides the data.

If you need more information, I should do my best to supply it. Thanks!

10. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

valis: My SATA HDD is a 3.5" The enclosure you suggest is for 2.5". More to the point, it seems to have circuitry at the connector. My power adapter and cables have no additional circuitry. They are just a power source for the 12V and 5V requirements and connecting conductors. That seems sufficient for my IDE drive. It works well when plugged into the USB port of my computer. The SATA drive motor does not even spin. The IDE motor spins as soon as it is connected to the power adapter. Does that tell you anything?

11. valis

valis Moderator

the size doesn't matter; one is laptop, one is desktop......all will have circuitry, as all use printed circuit boards.

IMO, the enclosure is by far and away the easiest and most foolproof methods out there.

12. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

valis: Thanks for the consumer report, but that is not what I am trying to learn from TSG. I already have equipment; power adapter, cables, that work well on my IDE drive. I can also connect with this equipment using the SATA drive, but it does not spin. That is the problem I need help with rather than a recommendation, though appreciated, for other equipment. I need to know why what I have works for the IDE and not for the SATA drive. Pardon me for my lack of clarity.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I thought my description was clear.
    I have no grandchildren to take pictures of. When I travel, I find that picture postcards are better than my skills with a camera allow.:)

The connectors are very specifically designed. One cannot make a correction error, even if one is altogether ignorant of such matters and has the strength of an orangutan. All one could do is break the plastic.

Just assume, if you would, that I have correctly connected the power adapter to the part of the SATA drive's fitting that should receive it. If there is continuity and the drive is receiving the 12V DC power and the 5v DC power, I believe the motor should spin - even if there is no data connection to the computer. Am I right about that ?

15. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

That one:

[​IMG]
    Is basically missing the adapter to get power to the sata drive from the AC power supply.

[​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice