1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting IP cameras, PoE switch, and NVR

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thinkingthought, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thinkingthought

thinkingthought Thread Starter

Hi,

New poster here, and I did my searches become making this thread!

My boss wants to buy 10 IP cameras that are PoE, and connected to a NUUO NVRmini. I am confused about everything I will need.

As far as cameras go, it looks like they will be either Axis, Arecont, or Acti. I have learned that I'll need something called a PoE switch to power these cameras, and I've become confused as to how the actual setup goes.

So, lets start from the top. I've got a T3 line hooked up to a router which has an iMac connected to it (one Ethernet port). I'll have the 10 cameras going into a PoE switch, and from there, how will this be connected to my network and NVRmini? I'm new to the concept of switches.

As far as I can tell, it seems like the 10 cameras go into the PoE switch, and then I have an Ethernet cable going from one of the empty ports into my NVR, which is then plugged into the router.... is this right?

Sorry if I'm a real amateur, I usually have a better grasp of these issues, but this is over my head cause I can't find out how to do this.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

So you want your PoE switch to be connected to the router. From there you can plug all your devices into this switch. Now there is a catch here about PoE switches. Not all PoE switches are created equal. You have to check to see that your total power load (sum of all the PoE devices you want to plug into the switch--in this case the IP cameras) can be accommodated by the particular switch you select. You also have to ensure the switch has enough PoE ports as not all PoE switches support PoE on all its ports. Finally, you need to make sure the load of each of these IP cameras doesn't exceed the power capability of the switch to deliver that power on a single port. Per spec (IEEE 802.3af I think), the maximum power supported by PoE on a single connection is just over 15W. But again, not all switches will support a full power draw of 15W on a single port.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice