1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Laptop to dual monitors and personal PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erinrpowers, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erinrpowers

erinrpowers Thread Starter

At work, my laptop uses a docking station and I have 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse. When I work from home, I don’t have a docking station. I just purchased two monitors though, and keyboard and mouse. Would love to know how to hook this up at home without using a docking station, and also be able to use our personal PC with this setup also. I’m completely clueless.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. erinrpowers

Oh wow, I didn’t know anything about those switches, I’ll look into that. The only reason I haven’t considered a docking station at home is because I didn’t feel like forking over the $189 for the Lenovo Thinkpad docking station. My company pays for one docking station but not one for home use. Maybe I should just suck it up and do it. But even if I do, how does the personal PC come into play on that type of setup? Would the personal PC just have to hook into the docking station as well somehow?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You may have to use a docking station to connect the laptop to 2 monitors. Connecting it to 1 would work without extra hardware and you would have the laptop's own screen and 1 monitor to work with, would that be enough ? If not post the full model details of your Lenovo laptop I'll try to find out if it can work with 2 monitors and it's own screen.

A KVM switch like the one I linked to will work with 2 monitors and 2 computers, provided both computers have the correct connections, for the graphics the linked one needs VGA/Dsub or DVI connectors at the switch end and at the computer ends, so there could be a problem if the laptop only has one external monitor output.

5. erinrpowers

So I ultimately decided to ask my company to just get me a second docking station for home use. Once that arrives, I will hook everything up the same way I have it hooked up at my desk at work. So that’s good news and should be simple enough. But as for my husband’s computer, do I still need the switch? And if so, do you still need the details of my Lenovo (and maybe his PC as well) to know whether we can hook his up easily?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If you want to use the monitor(s) with the PC as well you may be able to use a different connector cable than the docking station (DS) is using between PC and monitor and use the monitor's menu/built-in switches to change from DS to PC by selecting the appropriate input.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice