1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Laptop to PC in LAN through Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by snschn, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snschn

snschn Thread Starter

We have 2 PCs connected to a ADSL modem router (which has 4 ports) to share files and internet connection. Unfortunately there is no IP address assigned to both the PCs. When i tried to assign the PC it gets disconnected from Internet.

The problem is : i want to access the PCs through internet from a Laptop. When I ping the Public IP of that lan network, it works. But when i use the Remote Desktop to connect to the PC or when i use the DOS command NET USE x: \\IPaddres\sharename /USER:username password - It doesn't work. In DOS prompt error 1231 or Network path not found error occurs.

I followed the instruction to configure Remote Access like disabling firewall, no installation of any firewall software, My computer -> properties -> remote -> allow users to connect remotely this computer.

But nothing works. Please tell me the step to configure and connect to the LAN network from the Laptop thru internet. All are windows XP Pro

Thanks in advance

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You may need to set up some kind of port forwarding or VPN on the router. What I actually do for my computers is use logmein (logmein.com) but the free version does not have file sharing option.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If this is for personal use I suggest using TeamViewer.

To use Remote Desktop you need, as mentioned above, to forward the appropriate port (3389?) to whichever computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice