Connecting Laptop To PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SteadFast

Hi everyone, I have a Network Cable & a FireWire Cable, I was just wondering is this all I need to connect my laptop to my pc?

I just want to check first before I go ahead & connect them incase that's not the way to do it.

Specs of the pc & laptop are below & all answers appreciated.

SteadFast

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Do you have Network Interface cards in each computer. And is your Network Cable labeled a Crossover Cable.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It would be much more helpful if you specified if you had Ethernet ports on both machines. :)

SteadFast

Sorry Guys, all I can tell is both machines have firewire & lan ports. The pc is less than a year old & the laptop is new so I would guess they are network capable.

If you plan on just connecting the 2 together, then a standard network cable will not work, oyu will need a crossover cable. The standard cable is used if you are connecting through a switch or router.

SteadFast

Will do RandyG, so a crossover cable is what I need, I take it the firewire cable won't do the job then?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't directly connect machines with firewire, though I don't know for sure it's an issue. I know that USB can be a real problem if you connect directly to another processor's USB port, you need a special hub in between for electrical matching.

I'd spend the $5 and get an Ethernet crossover cable and use the connection that's specifically designed for networking. :)

SteadFast

Thanks Guys, I'll get the crossover cable & do it that way. Just wanted to make sure what the best way to do it was.

Cheers,
SteadFast.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online