1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting laptop to share cable Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bps164, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bps164

bps164 Thread Starter

I just got my very first laptop and have been searching for simple instructions on connecting it to my current home Internet connection (Comcast cable). I already have a router, but it is not wireless as it came from Vonage (Linksys RT31P2). The laptop is Toshiba A105-S2071 with Wireless 802.11g/b.

Buying a long Ethernet cable seems cumbersome but simple. Would getting a wireless router automatically provide wireless access to the laptop without changing the PC connection (and with no fees from my ISP)?

Both computers have Windows XP. Once I get connected, what utility should I use to configure this little network and protect it? I'll need to transfer files from the laptop to the PC periodically.
    Thanks.

2. jmwills

jmwills

Yes, you need a wireless router and XP has a built in utility for hanlding the connection whihc is better than the one provided by the maker of the wireless card.

3. bps164

bps164 Thread Starter

If someone can state the requirements and cost of connecting wireless versus just making a physical connection, I think that is what I'm really looking for.

4. jmwills

jmwills

Computers with wireless network cards figure $40 each, wired ethernet will already been on each machine.
    Wireless routers range from $30 to $150.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you have wireless already on PC
    and you have a modem router
    so you could just buy a wireless access point and plug that into the router - or a wireless router
    Netgear
    D-link
    Linksys
    are all makes to look at

now you need to also consider distance away from the router and whats inbetween - Things like walls etc etc do reduce the signal.

make sure you keep upto date with windows secruity updates - have firewalls, virus scanners and spyware checkers and you should be cool

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/477078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice