1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Laptops for gaming without a Router or Internet

Discussion in 'Games' started by jacfalcon, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacfalcon

jacfalcon Thread Starter

One thing I have tried and wondered how to do (as many other people I know) is to connect laptops with wireless capabilities together when there is no router and no internet. It seems like it would be simple, since you can transfer files, why can't you play, say, StarCraft 2-player with two laptops over their wireless cards?

Is there, say, a program that will let you set up a LAN-type connection from laptop to laptop. My friend and me want to play against eachother on some games on eachother's laptops, and we have a/b/g cards and Wi-Fi (I have bluetooth and N card but I don't know if he does). Oh, and of course, we both have a copy of each game. We're not trying to play with only one copy. This is just a matter of having two laptops with no internet or router.

Thanks for any info,
    jacfalcon

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well two ways:

1) get a cross-over cable and connect it as wired. This will be the best option for you in terms of connectivity.

2) I believe you will need to set up the machines in Ad-hoc mode. This link has some information that may work for you.

3. jacfalcon

jacfalcon Thread Starter

Code:
    Wireless Way:
    If both computers have wireless capabilities, then a connection can be setup to connect them through the air. The downside to this method is that wireless security such as WAP2, WAP, or WEP cannot be enabled as they are not supported under computer-to-computer direct networking. This type of wireless networking is also known as "Adhoc connection" (From wordweb.info, "ad hoc" means "for or concerned with one specific purpose"). 
    An assumption is made that you have already installed the wireless adapters or cards on the computers and they are working well. For the sake of simplicity, the two computers will be called DAD and MOM respectively.

ON "DAD" 
    Right-click "My Computer", click "Properties" 
    Click "Computer Name" Tab 
    Click "Change" 
    A window should pop-up. Specify a name for the computer. 
    Click "Workgroup" and specify a name. (We will call the computer DAD and the workgroup HOME) 
    Click OK 
    Click OK in the computer properties windows. (You may have to restart the computer. If you are prompted to, do so) 

Configuring Wireless Adaptor 
    Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Network Connections 
    Right-click on your wireless adaptor, click "Properties" 
    Click "Configurations" The options available in the configurations will widely vary between wireless adaptors, but the main things that that you want to make sure are: 
    The type of connection is set to Adhoc and not Infrastructure 
    The security settings are off (It may be called "B/G Protection", nevertheless, set this to "none" or "off" 
    On some occasions, you may come across something that says "SSID" with a textbox corresponding to it. In this entry, you can specify a name for your network. Let's just call it "Home" for now 
    After altering the configuration settings, click "OK" to save the changes, and click "OK" again in the wireless adaptor window to exit 
    Right-click again on your wireless adaptor, click "Properties" 
    Click the tab "Wireless Network" (This tab is not visible on my computer!?) It simply means that your wireless adaptor is currently being controlled by a third party software, and as such Windows is unable to take control of it. Here are some resolutions: 
    Do the equivalent changes in the third-party software. Although the interface will be slightly different, the fundamental is still the same OR 
    Disable third-party software, and let Windows regain control. Right-click on the icon of your wireless adaptor in the system tray (where your computer digital clock is located), click "Use Windows Zero Configuration". In addition, just to make sure that Windows has really activated its control, go to Start > Run > type in "services.msc" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter" In the new Window, scroll down until you can see the entry "Windows Zero Configuration". Double-click on it and make sure "Startup type" is set to "Automatic". 

Click "Add" under "Preferred Network" 
    In the new window, type in the same SSID key that you may have specified in step 3. Otherwise, let's call it "Home" for now. Under "Network Authentication", select the option "Open" in the dropdown menu. Having done that, select "Disabled" under "Data encryption". Lastly, place a tick for the option "This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network, wireless access points are not used". The end result should look something like this. Click "OK" to save. 
    Click "OK" to exit the wireless adaptor window 
    Configuring IP 
    Right-click on your wireless adaptor and click "Properties" 
    Under the heading "This connection uses the following items", click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) 
    Click "Properties" 
    A new window should pop up, click "Alternate Configuration" 
    Click "User configured" radio button 
    Here, you can specify the address. For computer DAD , specify the IP as 192.168.0.2, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, Default gateway as 192.168.0.1. Under Preferred / Alternate DNS server, the values for Xtra are 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72 respectively (the address may vary between ISPs). If you are unable to determine your ISP's Preferred / Alternate DNS server addresses, just surf on to OpenDNS for options available. 
    Click "OK" 
    Click "OK" under the LAN connection properties. You are done for computer DAD 
    ON "MOM" 
    Right-click "My Computer", click "Properties" 
    Click "Computer Name" Tab 
    Click "Change" 
    A window should pop-up. Specify a name for the computer. 
    Click "Workgroup" and specify a name. (We will call the computer MOM and the workgroup HOME) 
    Click OK 
    Click OK in the computer properties windows. (You may have to restart the computer. If you are prompted to, do so) 

Configuring Wireless Adaptor 
    Right-click on your wireless adaptor, click "Properties" 
    Click "Configurations" The options available in the configurations will widely vary between wireless adaptors, but the main things that that you want to make sure are: 
    The type of connection is set to Adhoc and not Infrastructure 
    The security settings are off (It may be called "B/G Protection", nevertheless, set this to "none" or "off" 
    On some occasions, you may come across something that says "SSID" with a textbox corresponding to it. In this entry, you can specify a name for your network. Let's just call it "Home" for now 
    After altering the configuration settings, click "OK" to save the changes, and click "OK" again in the wireless adaptor window to exit 
    Right-click again on your wireless adaptor, click "Properties" 
    Click the tab "Wireless Network" (This tab is not visible on my computer!?) It simply means that your wireless adaptor is currently being controlled by a third party software, and as such Windows is unable to take control of it. Here are some resolutions: 
    Do the equivalent changes in the third-party software. Although the interface will be slightly different, the fundamental is still the same OR 
    Disable third-party software, and let Windows regain control. Right-click on the icon of your wireless adaptor in the system tray (where your computer digital clock is located), click "Use Windows Zero Configuration". In addition, just to make sure that Windows has really activated its control, go to Start > Run > type in "services.msc" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter" In the new Window, scroll down until you can see the entry "Windows Zero Configuration". Double-click on it and make sure "Startup type" is set to "Automatic". 

Click "Add" under "Preferred Network" 
    In the new window, type in the same SSID key that you may have specified in step 3. Otherwise, let's call it "Home" for now. Under "Network Authentication", select the option "Open" in the dropdown menu. Having done that, select "Disabled" under "Data encryption". Lastly, place a tick for the option "This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network, wireless access points are not used". The end result should look something like this. Click "OK" to save. 
    Click "OK" to exit the wireless adaptor window 
    Configuring IP 
    Right-click on your wireless adaptor and click "Properties" 
    Under the heading "This connection uses the following items", click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) 
    Click "Properties" 
    A new window should pop up, click "Alternate Configuration" 
    Click "User configured" radio button 
    Here, you can specify the address. For computer MOM, specify the IP as 192.168.0.1, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, Default gateway as 192.168.0.2. Under Preferred / Alternate DNS server, the values for Xtra are 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72 respectively (the address may vary between ISPs). If you are unable to determine your ISP's Preferred / Alternate DNS server addresses, just surf on to OpenDNS for options available. 
    Click "OK" 
    Click "OK" under the LAN connection properties. You are done for computer MOM 
    Connecting the computers together 
    On either DAD or MOM, right-click the wireless adaptor icon displayed in the system tray (circled blue) 
    Click "View Available Wireless Network" 
    Double-click on the wireless computer-to-computer network "HOME" in the screen displayed 
    After both computers have acquired an IP address, you are done! 

Can someone simplify this for me? I know its a lot but I just get lost after a while. I know how to set up an Ad-Hoc network between the laptops, but what do I do once they are connected, and what would the settings be called when I try to link over for games like StarCraft (They give you options like LAN, Battle.net, Modem, etc.).

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Once they are connected to each other and you can ping each other to confirm connectivity, I believe the option you will choose is LAN or TCP/IP if shown in your game.

5. jacfalcon

jacfalcon Thread Starter

I thought so, but I tried it on both different games and it didn't work. We could share files and do a bunch of other stuff, but it wouldn't let us use things set as LAN.

6. Jamus.2ya.com

Jamus.2ya.com

Hi, I am the author of the article that you have quoted in this thread. Please put the reference to the article mentioned from my website in future when you copy / paste it onto a thread.

A few checkings that need to be done:
    Are you able to ping each other?
    Has the firewall been configured to allow the computers to talk to each other?

Once the workgroup, subnet mask and IP addresses have been configured appropriately, your network should work out find. Don't forget to turn off any WEP or WPA settings in an ad hoc connection as security features are not supported for comp-to-comp networks.

Regards,
    Jamus.2ya.com

7. Bugged_see

Bugged_see

Something else to check...

Some games allow you to set up a LAN game, but they do not tell you that you need the SERVER version of the game to do this.

Counter strike (not source) had an option to create a game (in server mode) and then you search for the game in the LAN screen. If you do not create a game, but search for a LAN game on both machines you'll never find anything as both are searching and none has an "Active" game to connect to...

Hope this helps

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/693274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice