1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting LED Strips through molex connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Walnutt, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Walnutt

Walnutt Thread Starter

I want to connect some LEDs to my pc. The LEDs have a USB cable so I cut that off and connected it to a molex/sata cable that had its sata end cut off. I trimmed the wires and twisted them together and covered them in electrical tape since I dont have solder. Red wire goes to red wire and black wire goes to black wire. Then I plug that into my pc, but when i turn on my pc, the LEDs don't light up.
    image0-1.jpg

I don't know where my mistake was, is it that I didn't combine the wires properly, or if the molex connector isn't in properly, or if this isn't supposed to work at all.
    image0.jpg

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Since it was a USB connector maybe it should be plugged in to some sort of controller.

Do you have a link to the exact LED strip you bought ?

3. Walnutt

Walnutt Thread Starter

The controller is that thicker black part that is attached to the front of the LED, and it is connected through a 4 pin, and that 4 pin then leads to the USB.
    Heres the link of where I bought the LED: https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...4k.searchlist.list.21.668c47a9qnyNrS&search=1

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    At your link on the 3rd picture from the left it shows the correct way to connect the light strip to the controller 4 pin, with the arrow on the strip at the top opposite the arrow on the controller (hover mouse over picture to see magnified view).

Check you have that right.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice