1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting multiple hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyron, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kyron

Kyron Thread Starter

I now have one hard drive on the end plug of the first ribbon cable, and one CD-RW on the end plug of the second ribbon cable. (The floppy drive is on its own cable.)

I want to install the hard drive from my previous computer into
    my present computer, (Athlon 1.1 Mhz) temporarily, just long enough to copy some files from the old drive to the new one.

Yesterday, after several tries, I eventually managed to totally
    disable my computer. Using a rescue disk, and reinstalling Windows Me, I eventually got it back in operation. I'm ready to try again, but I'd like to get it right this time. The previous computer is gone, so joining it to the new one by data cable is not an option, even if I knew how.

I now know enough to set the jumper on the old hard drive to "slave" but I am still unsure which drives go on which plugs.
    Also, must I do anything to the "master" drive jumpers?
    If I'm forgetting something else, please let me know.
    Thanks.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

So long as you are "sure" about the jumper settings, the Primary IDE ribbon cable at the end should be the Master and the next the Slave. This setup should not have trashed your previous installation. Some hard drives have a different jumper setting for a hard drive acting as a stand alone Master and a dual hard drive Master, so check the mfg of both drives and go to there web site to verify the jumpers placement if you have problems again.

3. AnyKey

AnyKey

Sometimes if you set the master hard drives' jumpers to the cable select setting, it works. Some Dell computers especially have this quirk.

4. Kyron

Kyron Thread Starter

Thanks to Anykey and Paul Nagel, I think my problem may be close to solution. It turns out the jumper on the "new" hard drive was set to cable select instead of the default "master." Then when I incorrectly hooked up the "old" hard drive when its jumper was still set to "master" my machine began to "correct" literally dozens of files I never heard of. That apparently is what blew my machine away. The on-line documentation for the "new" hard drive says this:

*Note: Cable Select (CS) utilizes a special cable configuration where the drive setting (Master or Slave) is determined by its position on the 40-pin ATA cable. In this type of configuration both drives will have their jumper set to CS. Cable Select is utilized on some OEM systems and is typically required for systems utilizing Ultra ATA/66. For Ultra ATA/66 compliant cables (80 conductor), the master drive is placed on the outside (end) cable connector and the slave drive is placed on the intermediate cable connector.

So the question now is, whether to set jumpers on both drives to "cable select" or to (respectively) master and slave. I favor the "cable select" choice, since the cable has 40-pin plugs and that's how "PCs for Everyone" (the vendor who assembled my system) set the main drive. Do you disagree? Anyway, I appreciate you fellows setting me on the right path.

5. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

If your system is local built and the original hard drive is set to cable select, i would connect the old drive the same way. When you boot up the first time, check the bios setup program to see if it recognizes both hard drives and if it is available, look for a boot option setting. If both are found and the boot option is there, make sure that it is set to boot from the original hd and not the old one. If you still have problems, i would then try the original hd as master and the old one as slave again checking the bios setup.

6. ich

ich

If you're only doing this temporarily to copy files,
    I'd pull the CDRW cable off of the CDRW and plug it into your old drive, which would be set to just about anything and should work fine if it's alone on the Secondary controller cable. If you want to burn the data you're pulling off the old drive, just copy it to the new one and, after you pull the old drive and put the CDRW back, burn it from there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/81478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice