1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Connecting Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoubtlessZw, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubtlessZw

DoubtlessZw Thread Starter

I am trying to connect two external monitors to my laptop for additional display space and can't get them both to connect. Each monitor is a bit older and I have a DVI-HDMI adapter connected to each, an HDMI cable then running from those to my laptop. However my laptop only has one HDMI port, thus only one monitor can connect. I just received a USB C-HDMI adapter that I ordered to use for the second monitor's HDMI cable to plug into my laptop, but my laptop doesn't detect the monitor. Help?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Solved?

If the laptop only has a single video port (and often even it has more than one), only a single monitor is supported by the video chipset in the monitor.

A simple cable converter like you noted above won't work as there is not a video signal output from the USB ports.

You would need an external video adapter such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&tag=googhydr-20&psc=1

*Note: I've not used the above adapter, but I have used a couple of other models from Startech.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice