1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting My Garage to my House Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by teddytech, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teddytech

teddytech Thread Starter

I want to connect my garage to my home network. I will have 3 rooms connected to a network and woul like to connect the garage using a hub. I don't have the budget to go wireless so I have to use CAT-5 wire. Is it OK to run this wire from the house to the garage? Should I uplink from a hub in the house to one in the garage? How should I run the wire? Should I run it from the attic in the house to the roof on the garage? Please help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

I would definately have it insulated in some kind of conduit or PVC. Bury some PVC and run it to the garage.

3. mole

mole

This will sound nuts, but buy some garden hose, and thread your CAT-5 through that, then bury the garden hose under ground.

Thats how I linked two houses together for networking. Total run to the second house is 350 feet. I left plenty of slack and needed 160 feet of hose to run house to house and teh rest is running through walls, under floors, etc. Come straight out of a port on a hub in house #1 and go straight to the nic on a PC in house #2. Running NetBEUI and TCP/IP with no problems. The general rule is to keep the CAT-5 runs to 300 feet or less.

Sounds like your set up is a good candidate for a garden hose network. Have fun puttng the RJ-45's on the CAT-5. Test the cable before you thread it in the hose and bury it though.

4. Rockn

Rockn

And don't use a hose that has any water in it!! Just feed the CAT5 through the hose with no ends on them and crimp them when you are done. Get good quality cable and +300 feet isn't a problem.

5. teddytech

teddytech Thread Starter

How far should I dig the hole? Once I have dug the hole and placed the hose with the CAT 5 in it, how would I feed it into the garage? Do I cut a small hole in the wall?

6. Rockn

Rockn

How should I know? I am a tech Jim, not a freemason....LOL
    Be inventive and make a run to the local hardware store or home improvement place for some ideas.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice