1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting my LAN to landlord's wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bd4tru, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bd4tru

bd4tru Thread Starter

I have a fairly involved home network at my apartment. My setup is below:

Router: Linksys WRT54G with standard firmware
    Wired Devices: 2-printer server and NAS
    Wireless Devices: 6-laptops, iPhone, TiVos, etc
    Security: WPA

So, I am moving to a new English Basement style apartment where I will rent the two bedroom apartment in the landlord's basement. She provides all utilities, including cable and . . . Internet! Unfortunately, she merely runs a cable modem hooked up to (at this time unknown) wireless router. That provided me Internet access (with her WPA security key) for free; however, my needs are beyond simple Internet use, as I have a wired NAS, printer server and other future devices.

I want to know if I can hook my local network up to hers for the purposes of providing Internet access to my network. I have gleaned so far from the web that I can connect her router to mine via the respective LAN (not WAN) ports. I understand that all it would require is some DHCP tweaking. Unfortunately, the routers (mine and hers) will be two floors apart. Wired connections between my basement router and her 3rd floor router is not an option.

So, finally, my question:

How can I wireless connect my network (that is, all the devices going through my router) to her wifi connection? Is it as simple as by a more sophisticated router, repeater, bridge, etc? Please advise.

2. avisitor

avisitor

Well, if you don't have the need to forward ports, yes, all you need is an access point that can be put into bridge mode.

3. bd4tru

bd4tru Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, can I beg for a little more clarification. For further clarification on my end, I was forwarding a port for my network cam, but I have written that off. As long as I have been networking, I continue to be confused by access points, bridges, etc. If I hook up an access point, what exactly is the breakdown: the WAP connects to LL's wifi, and then I plug ethernet from WAP to my router? If that's the case, any other settings I should know of? Also, what are the limitations of this type of hook up? And, let me add, thank you for responding. I have never signed up for any kind of forum in my life, I am pretty stoked I already have someone helping me out...

4. avisitor

avisitor

Sure, no problem.

An AP that supports wireless bridging connects via wireless to the other AP (in this case, wireless router). It then bridges the wireless network to its Ethernet port. You can connect the AP's ethernet port to a switch or to another router, whatever works better for your purpose. It's pretty much equivalent to running a cable between the router and your apartment, which you are free to do whatever you want with.

However, you need to make sure that the AP you buy supports Bridge Mode (check the specs/manual)

5. bd4tru

bd4tru Thread Starter

That is just the help I was seeking.

Moving forward, I will purchase an AP that has bridge mode and connect accordingly. I was reading some directions on the APs out there and thought I'd go back to the well again with this follow up:

Can you outline or point me to some directions for the setup--I am unclear about the alignment of the landlord's SSID, the AP's SSID and my router's SSID; also what do I do about DHCP on the AP and/or router, etc?

Finally, and let me draw the map here, with my LL's Router --> AP --> My Router setup, what are the access limitations risks? Can I make my router (that is my home network) walled off from the LL (which, surprisingly, I am not worried about)?

Thanks again, and please forgive my abusing your generosity (or anybody's who chimes in). :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice