1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting my laptop to my new tv

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ExtremeNihilism, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ExtremeNihilism

ExtremeNihilism Thread Starter

hello. connections are not my strong point in computers. and when you throw a tv into the mix i'm deff outta my league. i just bought a new sanyo television from walmart. here is a link to the type. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9106631

i was wondering what kind of connections i had to buy to get my laptop hooked up to this tv. i bought some cables at walmart that i returned for not working. the cables were too big for my computer. is there a certain size i need to look for in the name of the cables or what's up? i found these on ebay, but will they work from the back port of my computer to the red, white, and yellow cable hookups on my tv? http://search.ebay.com/vga-rca-converter_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1

2. ExtremeNihilism

also another quick question. when i picked up the tv i bought a cheap $9 antenna to pick up a couple of the local stations. when i use my tv for those stations the pixels sometimes blur and the channels seem to lag. is this the tv or antenna? i'm thinking the antenna. i don't have any other devices to hook up to the tv to test different inputs but just wondering if anybody could clarify for sure.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Usually a PC and a TV come with at least a small user guide or chart showing and naming the various ports and connection types. Sometimes you can also access these on the manufacturer's web site if you have misplaced yours. I have found that when I don't recognize a port I can still match a cable by jotting down the names of the ports and then shopping for a cable with the matching connectors. Or sometimes even going to Radio Shack and asking for help (with the names of the connections I need). This may seem like a lot of work but I think on average it's quicker than buying random cables until maybe one works.

4. ExtremeNihilism

lol yeah. i live out in the boonies a bit, nearest city is an hour away. so i was wondering if anybody on here knew off the top of their heads rather than me spend that much gas and time going there. thnx for the idea of the user guide. i looked through there but not too thoroughly i'll admit. i'm gonna go look through there again.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you figure out what kind of connectors are needed you can shop for cable online. :)

When I looked at your Location I thought NYC. Now that I know better, I suspect that you are far enough form the "local" stations to need a better antenna. Or maybe you just need to get it higher to avoid obstructions.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice