1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting new computer to old one

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rodent, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rodent

rodent Thread Starter

I have a new computer with windows xp and an old computer with windows 98, both are dell computers. want to hook them together for home use. what do I need to do?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well lets start with what you will need first. Do you have Network Interface cards in each computer and do you have a Network Crossover cable.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might also tell us if you want to share Internet connections, what kind of Internet connection you have, dial, cable, DSL, etc.

4. blackstar

blackstar

Im trying to do the same thing only, the new computer is a Dell Latitude CP Laptop with Win98
    and the OLD one is a Gateway with WinXP Pro

Right now I mainly just want to share an internet connection (Im still on dialup).
    Do I need more "hardware" other than just the connecting phone cord/adapter? I want the PC with WinXP pro to be the host.

Should I put the line from the laptop (which I want to be the guest) in the jack where I usually put my phone/internet line?
    Or where I usually put the line to my telephone??
    HELLLP!!??:confused:

5. MaDKiWi

MaDKiWi

You need a basic network setup by the sounds of this. Ive never really played with a win98/XP network link before although i got a house call this saturday to do that exact thing...
    HOWEVER you will need two NIC (Network) cards, one for each computer and a crossover cable that will reach between them when done. you need to set up Internet connection sharing (ICS) on the XP machine. You will also need to set a static IP address on the XP machine.. for example, 192.168.0.1 and on the win 98 machine set it as auto, that is found in the netwoking part in the control panel under your nic cards tcp/ip properties. As far as the actual Internet connection sharing, that should be set in your internet explorer settings in the 98 machine i believe.. as long as ICS is set properly in XP. I know it seems complicated but im pretty sure it works and its quite... simple.. in reality really. Hope I havent missed anything...
    But yea you need to purchase the correct hardware first up

6. rodent

rodent Thread Starter

both computers have nic's, the new computer uses dsl for internet, the old one is basic modem.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Easiest way would be to purchase a router ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice